2

How do you say 'old man' in Spanish?

2

Viejo.

• May 12, 2010

• For serious? - modoatk May 12, 2010
  • I kid you not. - tennismom May 12, 2010
  • How exciting! - modoatk May 12, 2010
  • Spanish is soooo easy! - tennismom May 12, 2010
5

¡Hola!, modoatk:

Enter "old" at the top of the screen in the "Translate" slot provided there. That will take you directly to our dictionary.

When the dictionary page opens up, the first line under "adjetivo" provides the answer you are looking for. Notice that there are 2 words suggested for you to choose from. 'abuelo' tends to mean 'grandfather' and may not be a best choice.

Muchos saludos/Best regards,

Moe

• May 12, 2010
  • Thanks for your very patronizing answer Moe! - modoatk May 12, 2010
  • Not patronizing! Empowering. So next time you can find answers yourself, and thus you will be more likely to retain the information. We always remember better the things we have to work for, and think about, and figure out.. - Lrtward May 12, 2010
  • Let me try to recap this. Modoatk entered the forum, in his profile said next to nothing about himself, did not indicate proficiency in either English or Spanish, did not do any lessons, showed no knowledge of material availble on our web site, - Moe May 13, 2010
  • Modoatk then posed a question expecting to be spoonfed an answer, rebuked a reply which was well intentioned and if we are lucky, will never be heard freom again. Go figure. - Moe May 13, 2010
  • Moe, your answer was friendly, helpful, and complete. It was not in the least patronizing. - happyquilter Feb 16, 2011
3

1. Persona de la tercera edad (medios de comunicación, políticos)
  2. Viejito (coloquial, Méx.)
  3. Ruquito (coloquial)
  4. Viejillo (peyorativo, familiar, de cariño)
  5. Vejete (peyorativo)
  6. Ruco (slang callejero)
  • May 12, 2010
2

abuelo

• May 12, 2010
  • Pretty sure that means Grandfather....... - modoatk May 12, 2010
  • You list yourself as an "intermediate", so maybe you know something I don't, but the only translation I know for "abuelo" is "grandfather". Unless there is a regional difference here. - DR1960 May 12, 2010
  • Abuelo is grandfather (in English that means having children with children). We dont call old men grandfather anywhere in the Englsih speaking world. Unless used as an insult. Viejo. - barhamo May 13, 2010
2

viejo

anciano

abuelo (yes, this term is used to refer to an old man who is not your grandfather...it just carries an extra note of fondness/respect for the person you are speaking to)

• May 12, 2010
2

Some days I think you could use "geofc" = me. Maybe it's time to set up a challenge to see how our ages spread. I know about me although I'm not about to reveal my age until my next birthday and I know we have a 16 year old who celebrated a cumpleanos last week but how about the rest of you?

...and nobody has quoted "abuelito" yet - not a bad compromise for a guy who isn't directly your "abuelo" but who might share the oldness.

• May 12, 2010
  • | Edited by geofc May 12, 2010
1

Another term is "anciano".

• May 12, 2010
  • Ooooh so many choices! - modoatk May 12, 2010
0

I heard the word "taito" as a word referring to an old man. It may be derogatory. Someone from Columbia told me this word. Any columbianos out there to comment on this?

• Feb 16, 2011