what is the English translation of "mas que nada"? | SpanishDict Answers

Spanishdict.com has two translations for "mas que nada" 1) "more than anything" 2) "more than nothing"

Are both of these translations correct? Also, Sergio Mendes has a famous song entitled "mas que nada". Which of the translations does the song title refer to?

• See my edited answer. - geofc May 11, 2010 flag
  • I can't get any response for "mas que nada" nor "más que nada" in either the dictionary or the phrasebook. What did you do that I didn't? - geofc May 11, 2010 flag

"more than nothing" would be a word-for-word translation. As Geof indicated, the meaning is "more than anything."

You'll often find negatives used like this in Spanish. Keep in mind that in Spanish a double negative (grammatically incorrect in English), only stresses the negative. It is correct and often used.

"More than anything"

Although I suppose that "a penny in your pocket is more than nothing" would have to use "mas que nada".

You have just made my world shake.

As for the Sergio Mendes song, try this link to the great Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mas_Que_Nada

I'm still trying to find/work out whether the song is in Spanish or, maybe more likely, Portuguese. If Portuguese, the meaning changes substantially.

Hot News is that the original by Jorge Ben Jor is written in Portuguese and there seems to be some doubt whether it's originally "mais que nada", "mas que nada" or "más que nada". Of these, the last, with the accent on "más" is what we're all talking about so far. The other two get translated varying from "but that's nothing" to "no way". If you're confused, join the club.

"More than anything", definitely.

"More than nothing" sound very, very weird.