The difference between ésta and esta | SpanishDict Answers

I have seen both words used: ésta and esta (no accent mark) and am not sure of why sometimes it needs an accent mark and sometimes it doesn't. Aren't they both pronounced the exact same way?

esta- this, adjective

ésta- this, thing

EX:

Esta camisa es azul.- This shirt is blue.

Me gusta ésta. - I like this.

• pronunciation-- pronounce the "é" with more emphasis - MeEncantanCa May 10, 2010 flag
  • I believe "noun" would be a better descriptor than "thing" in this explanation. - danrivera May 10, 2010 flag
  • Thanks, this helps! - bmancornelio May 10, 2010 flag
  • Surely it's este libro because it's el libro???? Why have you written esta libro?? - vicksanders May 11, 2010 flag
  • I changed it from "Esta libro" to "Esta camisa" - bmancornelio May 30, 2010 flag

está = the 3rd person singular conjugation of the verb "estar" = to be. It means he/she/it is or you (formal) are

esta = a demonstrative adjective, meaning "this". It is the feminine form of "this" and refers to a feminine noun. For example, "Esta canción es muy famosa." The word "canción" is the noun to which the adjective "esta" is referring.

ésta = a demonstrative pronoun, meaning "this". It is the feminine form of "this" and is used in place of a specific feminine noun. It's identical to the demonstrative adjective except that it bears a written accent on the stressed syllable to distinguish it from the adjective. For example, "No me gusta ésta." Meaning, "I don't like this." referring to, and replacing, something "feminine" not liked, such as a song = "canción".

esta = this

está = is

They are not both pronounced the same, está has the emphasis on the last syllable.

este (this) ese - aquel (that) are demostratives adjetives and don´t need accent : este libro es bueno

demostrative pronouns need accent: este libro es bueno pero éste es mejor

Say them out loud and see you if it makes more sense to you.
ES - tah (esta) this es - TAH (está) are ...and if you would really like to learn that, use the "learn spanish"link above and select the lesson on ser/estar in Spanish 1

• Not "está", the word i want is ésta - bmancornelio May 10, 2010 flag
  • There is a lesson that includes esta and ésta, also. - danrivera May 10, 2010 flag

demostrative pronouns need an accent: este libro es bueno pero éste es mejor

Just as a matter of fact, neither the pronoun nor the adjective is accented (any more).

ésta is supposed to get an accent only in case of clear doubt. My recommendation: don¡t use the accent.

• All I know is that I see it with and without an accent all the time. - bmancornelio May 10, 2010 flag
  • Muchas gracias, Heidita! No sabia eso. - Pajaro44 May 10, 2010 flag
  • I agree with bmancornelio. I see it with and without the accent even within the same context. It's surely supposed to be éste es mi hijo and ésta es mi hija, when presenting. This is my son & this is my daughter. Why are people so glib about accents?s - vicksanders May 11, 2010 flag

-- Delete -- (duplicate post)

;"'ésta" (with accent mark) means exactly the same as "esta". ésta is used as a pronoun, when the noun (person, thing, place) is absent in the sencetence, but included in the context.

Esta blusa es bonita, me gusta ésta.

• Did you miss seeing Heidita's reply from May 10, 2010? - "ésta" doesn't take an accent mark any more. - pesta Sep 12, 2011 flag