1

I have seen both words used: ésta and esta (no accent mark) and am not sure of why sometimes it needs an accent mark and sometimes it doesn't. Aren't they both pronounced the exact same way?

6

esta- this, adjective

ésta- this, thing

EX:

Esta camisa es azul.- This shirt is blue.

Me gusta ésta. - I like this.

• pronunciation-- pronounce the "é" with more emphasis - MeEncantanCa May 10, 2010
  • I believe "noun" would be a better descriptor than "thing" in this explanation. - danrivera May 10, 2010
  • Thanks, this helps! - bmancornelio May 10, 2010
  • Surely it's este libro because it's el libro???? Why have you written esta libro?? - vicksanders May 11, 2010
  • I changed it from "Esta libro" to "Esta camisa" - bmancornelio May 30, 2010
9

está = the 3rd person singular conjugation of the verb "estar" = to be. It means he/she/it is or you (formal) are

esta = a demonstrative adjective, meaning "this". It is the feminine form of "this" and refers to a feminine noun. For example, "Esta canción es muy famosa." The word "canción" is the noun to which the adjective "esta" is referring.

ésta = a demonstrative pronoun, meaning "this". It is the feminine form of "this" and is used in place of a specific feminine noun. It's identical to the demonstrative adjective except that it bears a written accent on the stressed syllable to distinguish it from the adjective. For example, "No me gusta ésta." Meaning, "I don't like this." referring to, and replacing, something "feminine" not liked, such as a song = "canción".

• excellent explanation. thanks. - yydelilah Mar 17, 2016
2

esta = this

está = is

They are not both pronounced the same, está has the emphasis on the last syllable.

• Not "está", the word i want is ésta - bmancornelio May 10, 2010
  • Sorry about that, my mistake. - Jsanthara May 10, 2010
1

este (this) ese - aquel (that) are demostratives adjetives and don´t need accent : este libro es bueno

demostrative pronouns need accent: este libro es bueno pero éste es mejor

• May 10, 2010
0

Say them out loud and see you if it makes more sense to you.
ES - tah (esta) this es - TAH (está) are ...and if you would really like to learn that, use the "learn spanish"link above and select the lesson on ser/estar in Spanish 1

• May 10, 2010
  • There is a lesson that includes esta and ésta, also. - danrivera May 10, 2010
0

demostrative pronouns need an accent: este libro es bueno pero éste es mejor

Just as a matter of fact, neither the pronoun nor the adjective is accented (any more).

ésta is supposed to get an accent only in case of clear doubt. My recommendation: don¡t use the accent.

• May 10, 2010
  • All I know is that I see it with and without an accent all the time. - bmancornelio May 10, 2010
  • Muchas gracias, Heidita! No sabia eso. - Pajaro44 May 10, 2010
  • I agree with bmancornelio. I see it with and without the accent even within the same context. It's surely supposed to be éste es mi hijo and ésta es mi hija, when presenting. This is my son & this is my daughter. Why are people so glib about accents?s - vicksanders May 11, 2010
0

-- Delete -- (duplicate post)

• Sep 12, 2011
  • | Edited by pesta Sep 12, 2011
0

;"'ésta" (with accent mark) means exactly the same as "esta". ésta is used as a pronoun, when the noun (person, thing, place) is absent in the sencetence, but included in the context.

Esta blusa es bonita, me gusta ésta.

• Sep 12, 2011
  • Did you miss seeing Heidita's reply from May 10, 2010? - "ésta" doesn't take an accent mark any more. - pesta Sep 12, 2011