¿Oye, cómo va? | SpanishDict Answers

From the song - "Oye Como Va" what is the English translation?

Thank you.

I think the literal translation is something along the lines of "Hey, hows it going?" but Im not completely sure. I hope that helps some

alt text a todos:

Taken out of the context of Santana's song, "¡Oye! ¿Cómo va?" might be interpreted to mean "Hey! How's it giong?" But, taken in the context of the surrounding words, I have to agree with Gekkosan that as used in the song, it means "Listen how the beat (or rythm) goes."

Here are the first two lines of the song:
"Oye como va mi ritmo
Bueno pa' gozar, mulata"

In the context of the song, "Hey! How's it going." doesn't work. Notice also that in the written lyrics, there is no tilde in "como" suggesting it is not used in the interrogative sense. If it were a question, it would be written "cómo." As gekkosan suggested, "Listen how the beat (or rythm) goes." works with the song.

Interestingly, see this performance by Celia Cruz ----> Celia Cruz - Oye como va

Some may say "Listen how the beat goes" is not good grammar. Erlaichda (erlaichda means 'lighten up' in an unknown tongue) , it's a song, poetry if you want, it transmits or transfers an emotion, not necessarily good grammar.

Muchos saludos/Best regards,

Moe

• Couldn't have said it better. :-) - Gekkosan May 8, 2010 flag

I agree with Katie.

It's along the lines of "Hey, how's it going?"

I disagree with the "how's it going" theories. I understand that the "Oye" is related to the next line of the song.

Maybe it's "Listen to how it happens/goes..." which for musicians is important.

Check out thisthread. This is probably one of the most asked questions on the forum.