What if you can't roll your R's? | SpanishDict Answers

I was wondering if a native spanish speaker might be able to tell me if you can't roll your R's can a native speaker determine the word you are trying to say? And if so how does that sound to a native speaker...do you just view it like an accent issue or does it really sound bad to you. The reason I ask is I have tried very hard and I just am having a lot of trouble with this. I wonder if a native speaker would just take from the context of the conversation the word I am trying to say or if it just sounds really bad. Example pero and perro Thank you so much in advance for any help you may provide in the matter.

If you can't rroll yourr erres you are condemned to public shame and eternal repudiation, and you shouldn't even attempt to speak a noble language like Spanish!

I say!

The cheek!!

big surprise

• (Of course I'm just being obnoxious. It is as most people said above. Lot's of Spanish speakers can't roll the "r's" either.) - Gekkosan May 8, 2010 flag
  • jejejeje!!! - Rikko May 8, 2010 flag
  • I have to agree with Gekkosan on this one. I have a Latino friend who can't roll her r's as well while everyone else in her family can, she's the only one that can't. Probably for now she can't but maybe one day she is able to do so. - TwilightLink Sep 9, 2014 flag

I had a professor in Spain who couldn't roll her r's. She pronounced them in a guttural way, in the back of her throat, French-like. We had no problem understanding her.

Can you picture/try that?

• How did she cope with "rr"? and was she originally Portuguese? - geofc May 8, 2010 flag
  • Yes! That is exactly how I pronounce it in that guttural way you described!! - KandE May 8, 2010 flag
  • She was Spanish. Some people just can't do it! - tennismom May 8, 2010 flag

I wrote this up in detail about a week ago. If you do a search on "does it matter if you can't roll your r's" you'll get lots of advice.

Re searching "does it matter" is probably enough.

This question seems to come up all the time and almost everyone gives a different answer. In my experience with speaking spanish almost everyday to native speakers I would say that it doesn't matter that much and of course people can tell by the context of the conversation. If you say something like: tenemos que dar de comer al perro nobody is probably going to think you are saying we have to feed the preposition but. If you speak enough spanish you will probably be able to eventually roll your r's or produce a similar sound. I hear a lot of people roll all of their r's not just rr. Many native speakers have told me that if you can't roll your r's it just sounds like an accent.

I´m a native spanish speaker in Colombia. We pronounce The "r" and the "rr" similar way, but...

The rr pronounced with tongue up in palate, in simple way "r" in two syllable The r in just one syllable lingual

example: carro (car) pronounced car- ro in english caro (expensive) pronounce ca-ro in english perro (dog) pronounce per-ro in english pero (but) pe-ro in english

I hope this help you