I have a question. Where does the word "neva" come from? As I searched through the dictionaries I found that the correct word is "nieva", from the verb nevar, but there are a lot of people that claim that "nieva" is incorrect. For example:

Nunca neva en el Sur de California. - It never snows in Southern California.

The correct way should be: Nunca "nieva" en el Sur de California.

It's "neva" something colloquial, perhaps?

I guess the use of neva is based on the following similar conjugation:

No "nevó" anoche. - It didn't snow last night. Rather than: No "nievó" anoche. Which would be incorrect.

Still, how would the word "nievo" be used in a sentence then?

• Do they spell it "neva" in south cali or is this how you're hearing it pronounced? - cheeseisyumm May 7, 2010 flag
  • and is this the robertico thats been missing? - cheeseisyumm May 7, 2010 flag
  • I've never seen it written...I've just heard it. When I was young I was told that the correct way is "neva". Never looked it up, but I always had my doubts. - 00813f2a May 7, 2010 flag
  • I wasn't missing, I'm just very busy. - 00813f2a May 7, 2010 flag

¿Por qué cree tanta gente que la palabra 'nievo' no existe? Existe en inglés. Claro, no se usa mucho, pero puedo imaginar cómo un escritor de poesía, fantasía o ciencia ficción puede usarla. Es posible que un ingeniero podrá construir un android inteligente que puede hacer nieve. Entonces, es posible que el android dirá, 'Yo nievo'.

Why do so many people believe that the word 'I snow' doesn't exit? It exists in English. Of course, it's not used much, but I can imagine how a writer of poetry, fantasy, or science fiction can use it. It's possible that an engineer will be able to build an intelligent robot that can make snow. Then it's possible that the android will say, 'I snow'.

Según ese mismo diccionario nievo existe

La Madre Naturaleza dice: “No nievo porque no me da la gana” – ejemplo…

En mi libro '501 Spanish Verbs' hay los verbos 'defectivos' que normalmente se usa en la tercera persona - no son muchos: abolir - to abolish bastar -to suffice costar - to costar embaír - to decieve encantar - to delight gustar - to be pleasing to helar - to freeze importar - to matter llover - to rain nevar - to snow ocurrir - to occur soler - to be accustomed to suceder - to happen

Hi Robertico, the correct conjugation is nievo, not nevo. this has to be a regionalism, not correct though.

And yes, the "bible" RAE includes the full conjugation of the verb, so tecnically, nievo exists.

The only answer is that "nevar" is irregular and you need to go up to the top of the page and find it, with all its glorious conjugation in the dictionary. Obviously there's another way which is to be born speaking Spanish and to have these details tucked away in the back of your head. You choose.

Segun esa misma dicionario no existe 'nievo'. Entonces no lo voy a incluir en ninguna frase.

• Según ese mismo diccionario nievo existe. - 00813f2a May 6, 2010 flag

Nievo is the yo form of nevar. It means "I snow", which technically doesn't make sense which is why you wouldn't ever use it.

• "Technically" it does make sense. However, in practice, one is unlikely to hear/read it. - samdie May 7, 2010 flag
  • Hmm, so i guess you could say it's nonsensical... - bmancornelio Jun 6, 2010 flag

I can't guess who would have told you that "nieva" is incorrect. I doubt that "neva" is even used as a colloquialism for "it snows". "Nieva" is the correct word, regardless of what someone may have told you. "Nunca nieva en el sur de California."

"Nevó" is the correct past tense. As Geof said, "nievo" is not a Spanish word.

"Ahora, no nieva en Guatemala."

• Con los cambios de clima, quizas va a nevar alli tambien algún dia, verdad... - margaretbl May 6, 2010 flag

If you ever question yourself on how to use a word correctly i would recommend you to visit rae.com (real academia espanola). Best site ever!!!!!!