how do you call someone, "Fool!" in spanish? | SpanishDict Answers

I thought it was "¡Necio!" but my Colombian friend told me that necio is more like a disobedient person angry What is it!? confused sick

• necio / necia as an adj. = foolish ,silly ,dumb or naughty as in a child that does not listen as a n, means stupid. fool idiot - albert-fabri May 4, 2010 flag

my favourite bobo /boba = fool or simpleton n. also means silly or stupid as an adj.

Welcome to the forum!

"Fool" is a word that varies wildly from country to country, so it needs to be handled with care. A general safe term is "tonto". You are correct in that "necio" means "fool" in some countries, but apparently not in Colombia.

Once again, a good generic term is "tonto".

In Mexico we say menso (m) or mensa (f), can be funny, friendly or agressive depending on the relationship, intention and circumstances.

cualquiera que dijere, Fatuo, será culpado del infierno del fuego. Matt. 5:22

I can tell you what we said in Venezuela, but people in other countries consider our mild phrase to be a deadly insult. mountaingirl is right. Tonto is probably safe. Be very careful.

Tonto,necio,insensato...maybe in the dictionary you will find it.. wink wink wink

You are correct in that "necio" means "fool" in some countries, but apparently not in Colombia.

Neither in Mexico, here it means something closer to 'hardheaded' rather than 'fool'.

'Tonto/a' or 'bobo/a' are better (and safer) translations for 'fool', I think.

"Idiota" comes to mind although I don't think I ever said it to anyone's face. It sounds harsher than "tonto" wich would be my second choice.

@ fancypoop: Such an ignorant response... I don't remember seeing your face in your avatar and still you have the nerve to make comments on other people's avatars. Let's remember that this is a learning forum. If you only joined here to criticise others you might want to switch to a different forum where you can say whatever you like.

(Later edit: the response referred to was removed by an admin as a result of several flags)

In Nicaragua, we consider Payaso, a way of being kind about someone joking around. It's all about how you say the word.