3

Can "tu me gustas" mean the same as "yo te gusto"?

5

Hello, and welcome to the forum. They do not mean the same thing. "[Tú] me gustas" means "I like you" and "[Yo] te gusto" means "You like me." (I included and yo because they were part of the phrases in your question, but they really aren't necessary and make the sentence burdensome.)

• I thought "gustar" would normally stay in the voice of the third-person. Is this not always the case? - danrivera May 1, 2010
  • Danrivera, 'gustar' means to be pleasing to, so if the person who is being pleasing/the liked person is the speaker, it is conjugated in the first person, and if the liked person is the interlocutor, it is conjugated in the second person. - MacFadden May 1, 2010
  • Is that your question, or did I misunderstand you? - MacFadden May 1, 2010
3

MacFadden's translation is correct. I would only add that a literal translation makes it easier to understand what is going on. For example:

"tu me gustas" can be trahslated as "you are pleasing to me" And likewise: "yo te gusto?" Am I pleasing to you? You should translate all the verbs of this type (me encanta, me molesta, etc.) like this until you get the hang of it. Watch Paralee's Lesson 3.7. She makes it easy.

• May 2, 2010
2

Justt in case anybody is interested , I created a flashcard set on gustar for the site.

Use of like/ gustar

• May 2, 2010
  • Me las gustan mucho. Gracias. - Goyo May 2, 2010