Same word different meaning? | SpanishDict Answers

I was doing the A - Z Cuerpo and realized that muñeca = wrist and also doll. Could this have something to do with puppets?

Hacía la A - Z Cuerpo y realizado eso muñeca = wrist y también doll. ¿Podía esto tener algo hacer con marionetista?

Are there many word (in both languages) that are the same but mean something different?

Quizá esto sería un ejercicio bueno.

I think about this all the time in English because I feel for the people who are trying to learn this crazy language. However, I can't give you an example right now of a noun that means two very different things...but we certainly have them!

Many words come to mind that are both a noun and a verb, but have different meanings. For example the noun "list" (to write a series of things) and the verb "list" (to lean to one side). "Lap" (the thing kids sit on) and "lap" (the thing a dog does with his tongue).

• There are 100s if not 1000s of them - will have to make a list ho hum :)) - - ian-hill Apr 29, 2010 flag
  • Marianne - Have a look here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_words_having_different_meanings_in_British_and_American_English - ian-hill Apr 29, 2010 flag

Yes, "wrist" and "doll" are the same word!

Just as "esposas" means both "wives" and "handcuffs"...hmmm...!!

• haha that's hilarious... - mamasita_s Apr 29, 2010 flag
  • Yeah..maybe I wasn't too far off with the puppet thing. Great example. Thanks - MattM Apr 29, 2010 flag

I think "muñeca" can also mean "a backhander" a bribe.