¿Qué será de ti? | SpanishDict Answers

Is this what will happen TO you? I wonder why these use de here? Are there a lot of other terms that use de for to like this? Is it what will happen to you? Gracias.

You simply have to think of "ser de" as an idiom, a construction that even your tutor probably can't explain unless he's some sort of linguistic historian.

As an alternative translation, try "what will become of you?"

• Ok that makes it easy but begs the question, can Ser include the word "become" so that one possible meaning for ser is "to become" and just "to be". Quiero ser intérprete. Quiero ser de mayor = I want to become older. What about quiero ser de ti, I want - jeezzle Apr 27, 2010 flag
  • to become you? I will assume ser de is an idiom that means to become and I hope someone will confirm that is exactly correct. Gracias. - jeezzle Apr 27, 2010 flag

Ok that makes it easy but begs the question, can Ser include the word "become" so that one possible meaning for ser is "to become" and just "to be". Quiero ser intérprete. Quiero ser de mayor = I want to become older. What about quiero ser de ti, I want -

to become you? I will assume ser de is an idiom that means to become and I hope someone will confirm that is exactly correct. Gracias.

First of all, Jeezle, I just want to take the opportunity to say something I've been thinking for a few days:

I really enjoy your posts and look forward to them every night. You have a very fresh, unusual and irreverent way of looking at the world, and you come up with the most intriguing questions. Not necessarily because they are hard, but because not many people pay attention to some of the things that apparently make you wonder and click. You are definitely one of the people that make this Forum enjoyable and fun!!

Now, to your question. I think Geofc gave you a very good answer, and then you ran away with it and took it to unexpected places. "Qué será de..." is an expression just for wondering, and it can either mean: "what will become of..." (not become something else), or "whatever happened to..."

"Qué será de la vida de Cindy Lauper", for example: "Whatever happened to CL?"

"¿Qué será de mi ahora, se preguntó Blagojevich?" - "What will happen to me now?, wondered Blagojevich"

But you must take the whole construction: "Qué será /sería / fue/ es / ha sido de...", you cannot take the individual components and expect them to work the same way!

• Thanks for the compliment! But what does quiero ser de mayor and quiero ser de ti mean? I have seen both phrases Google...Gracias. - jeezzle Apr 27, 2010 flag

But what does quiero ser de mayor and quiero ser de ti mean? I have seen both phrases Google...Gracias

Heh-heh... shouldn't believe everything you see in Google. Both are incorrect Spanish.

You can have " Quiero ser mayor" - "I want to grow up / be older", and you can have "Quiero ser tuyo/a" - "I want to be yours".

Valid possibilities with "ser de" (belong to):

"Quiero ser de Dios": "I want to belong to God".

"Yo soy del equipo Medias Rojas" - "I belong to the Red Sox Team".

• What if you wanted to say "I want TO BE You?" Gracias. So ser de is more belong to than become. and Que sera de ti is what will be of you, thats why it's what will become of you. Great stuff. Thanky. - jeezzle Apr 27, 2010 flag
  • "I want to be you" - "Quiero ser tú". "I want to BECOME you" - "Quiero convertirme en tí". - Gekkosan Apr 27, 2010 flag