Cuidate vs te cuidas | SpanishDict Answers

Same thing? I think it's the same thing. Gracias.

Cuídate = take care, look after yourself

It is like an order but as you can imagine it is a piece of advice too. I mean, in Spanish, it is an imperative.

No te cuidas. Deberías cuidarte más. = You don't look after yourself. You should look after yourself more.

"Cuídate" is not the same as "te cuidas". It has a different meaning because the former is an order.

Anyway, you can say: te cuidas, ¿eh?. The sense is the same as "cuidate". But take into account that the form is different.

Siéntate = Sit down.

"Ahora te sientas" (now you sit down). It is true that can be used for an order too, but it is not imperative.

• So when he left and said "te cuidas/es" what did he mean? You should take better care of yourself? I have been dieting, maybe I look too thin? That sort of thing? Gracias. - jeezzle Apr 25, 2010 flag
  • thanks Nila - patch Apr 25, 2010 flag

Already answered.

• Now that's sensible thinking. Espero que te cuides would certainly = te cuides and be the thoughtful thing to say. Nice answer as usual. Gracias. - jeezzle Apr 25, 2010 flag
  • Actually, no, Q. Your answer had another angle to it. I believe Jeezle's friend is saying "Te cuidEs" as a short cut to "Espero que te cuides." - webdunce Apr 25, 2010 flag
  • You should roll back your answer, Q. - webdunce Apr 25, 2010 flag
  • Agreed, your answer was the correct answer. - jeezzle Apr 25, 2010 flag
  • Hmm. You guys must read quickly. My answer wasn't there that long. - 0074b507 Apr 25, 2010 flag

I understand cuídate to be a command (Take it easy / Take care), and te cuidas to be a statement (You do take care of yourself).

The first is often used as a farewell, I think (I have often seen it used like that in movies, anyways).

Both are in the tú form, by the way.

• My friend at work that speaks only mostly Spanish said "Te cuidas: when he left and meant "hey take it easy bro". so I want to compare the two, and changed my thoughts on it. - jeezzle Apr 25, 2010 flag
  • Interesting. - webdunce Apr 25, 2010 flag
  • I will watch the thread to see if a native responds. - webdunce Apr 25, 2010 flag

So when he left and said "te cuidas/es" what did he mean? You should take better care of yourself? I have been dieting, maybe I look too thin? That sort of thing?

It depends, it can have several meanings. It can be a farewell like in English. Or perhaps it is a piece of advice.

• Wait, but if it's a farewell then isn't it just like cuidate? What the......? Gracias. - jeezzle Apr 25, 2010 flag

Well, I suppose it is like in English.

You are talking to someone and when you say goodbye, you say: cuídate (take care).

But when you are talking to someone about him or her (her/his health, his/her habits and so on) you can say: cuídate más or deberías cuidarte más. (It is the same as you should look after yourself).

Yo me cuido = I look after myself

Tú me cuidas = You look after me

Tú te cuidas = You look after yourself

El se cuida = He looks after himself

El la cuida = He looks after her

(All of them are in the indicative form)

Cuida a tu hermano = look after your brother

Cuidala = look after her

Cuídate = look after yourself

(All of them are in the imperative form).