What do these symbols mean, I see them a lot. smile or wink

If you will look again at the heading of your question and the detail of your question, the answer is actually there. In SpanishDict, the combination of the colon ":" and the close parenthesis ")" symbols are automatically converted to the smiley face you see. smile Sometimes a hyphen "-" is added to indicate a nose, which then gives you another type of smiley. grin

You may want to follow this link - emoticons - for more explanations.

If you will look again at the heading of your question and the detail of your question, the answer is actually there. In SpanishDict, the combination of the colon ":" and the close parenthesis ")" symbols are automatically converted to the smiley face you see. From my experience though, it seems that the conversion only happens the first time you use it. As illustrated here: smile smile smile wink wink wink - when you repeat the combination of the symbols, they just remain as keyboard symbols. Sometimes a hyphen "-" is added to indicate a nose - grin, which then gives you another type of smiley.

• Oops, sorry about the thing about repetiting the symbols. Apparently only when you are typing in the Answer frame do they not get converted to smiley faces. - Rikko Apr 15, 2010 flag
  • Please ignore my third sentence as I just discovered that it's not correct. Sorry. - Rikko Apr 15, 2010 flag
  • I just submitted another answer deleting the 3rd sentence. - Rikko Apr 15, 2010 flag

Emoticons are substitutes for facial expressions and tone of voice. Whatever you may derive from either a smile or a friendly wink in the context of the message.

two dots and a right parenthesis is a smiley face (sideways)

a semicolon and a right parenthesis is a winking smiley face (sideways)

:-p is a smiley face sticking his tongue out

I'm not really sure how to answer this....

What do you see? I see a "smile" and a "winking smile"...

Edit: after the explanations provided by the other members, does it makes sense that typing a sequence like" : - ) " generates a little face image when you post?

It is just the text- editing program of the Forum translating the abstract concept into more graphical symbols..

: - ) doesn't look like this one worked

:-p doesn't look like this one worked either, am I missing something?

smile

wink

Do these characters work for any website at all? or do they only work for SpanishDict.

Maria, you have to type the symbol without spaceswink

; ) ------this one without spaces becomes: wink

By the way, I offer corrections using in comments these symbols (no spaces!!)

) -------correct

; ) ----------grammar or spelling mistake
  • S -------wrong answer

( -------cannot be corrected, too many mistakes (like on word of the day or picture of the day)