I just finished "The Archbishop in Andalusia" in which an important character is described as an "abrogado". In my years of speaking and writing Spanish in S America, I never heard the word; the usage was universally "abogado". My Collins Spanish/English dictionary agrees with this and makes no mention of "abrogar" nor any of its derivates. Please can you enlighten me as to the real usage of the two words. This website uses "abrogado" and some of the references to "abogado" in the book are on pp. 80, 181, 185, 203. The Collins dictionary I refer to is the (big) pocket sized dictionary, 3rd edition 2006, isbn 10, 0-06-113102-4 and I consulted page 2. Thanks again

Later I did my own research. I found no web references to "abrogados" in Seville but lots for "abogados". I conclude that this was not a case of cultural difference between countries but a simple editing mistake. So I emailed Father Greeley and told him. It didn't spoil the book.

• The English cognate is 'abrogate' - samdie Apr 24, 2010 flag

Exacto...

Abogado: Es la persona ("Lawer") que estudia leyes.

Abrogado (Abrogar): Se refiere a una ley (toda la ley) que fué eliminada o sustituida por otra.

Derogado (Derogar): Eliminación de un Articulo (solo una parte) de la ley.

Fué un placer poder ayudarte!.

Hi geo, abrogar is a verb:

abrogar. (Del lat. abrogāre). 1. tr. Der. Abolir, derogar. Abrogar una ley, un código.

Welcome to the forumgrin

Any there any connection with Obrigado in Portuguese?

Ian-hill

I just finished writing to you on another topic.

Nope. "Obrigado", equivalent to "Obliged" in English, is the universal "thank you" in Portuguese, like "muchas gracias" in Spanish.

• Hi Geof I knew it meant "thank you" but it just struck as odd that it is so close to abogado. - ian-hill Apr 23, 2010 flag