3

I just finished "The Archbishop in Andalusia" in which an important character is described as an "abrogado". In my years of speaking and writing Spanish in S America, I never heard the word; the usage was universally "abogado". My Collins Spanish/English dictionary agrees with this and makes no mention of "abrogar" nor any of its derivates. Please can you enlighten me as to the real usage of the two words. This website uses "abrogado" and some of the references to "abogado" in the book are on pp. 80, 181, 185, 203. The Collins dictionary I refer to is the (big) pocket sized dictionary, 3rd edition 2006, isbn 10, 0-06-113102-4 and I consulted page 2. Thanks again

Later I did my own research. I found no web references to "abrogados" in Seville but lots for "abogados". I conclude that this was not a case of cultural difference between countries but a simple editing mistake. So I emailed Father Greeley and told him. It didn't spoil the book.

• | Edited by geofc Apr 22, 2010
  • | history
  • The English cognate is 'abrogate' - samdie Apr 24, 2010

2

Exacto...

Abogado: Es la persona ("Lawer") que estudia leyes.

Abrogado (Abrogar): Se refiere a una ley (toda la ley) que fué eliminada o sustituida por otra.

Derogado (Derogar): Eliminación de un Articulo (solo una parte) de la ley.

Fué un placer poder ayudarte!.

• Apr 14, 2010
  • Welcome to the forum, great answer:) - 00494d19 Apr 14, 2010
  • lawyer - nizhoni1 Apr 23, 2010
1

Hi geo, abrogar is a verb:

abrogar. (Del lat. abrogāre). 1. tr. Der. Abolir, derogar. Abrogar una ley, un código.

Welcome to the forumgrin

• Apr 14, 2010
0

Any there any connection with Obrigado in Portuguese?

• Apr 23, 2010
0

Ian-hill

I just finished writing to you on another topic.

Nope. "Obrigado", equivalent to "Obliged" in English, is the universal "thank you" in Portuguese, like "muchas gracias" in Spanish.

• Apr 23, 2010
  • Hi Geof I knew it meant "thank you" but it just struck as odd that it is so close to abogado. - ian-hill Apr 23, 2010