¡Feliz Pascua! | SpanishDict Answers

Recently, there have been several interesting threads discussing nationality and culture. Since this is Easter Sunday, please share some of the different ways this holiday is celebrated where you live. If you celebrate Passover, please share some of those traditions. This discussion is open to everyone. So if you don't observe this day at all, feel free to respectfully share your opinions on that as well.

No matter how long your answer is, try to include at least one sentence in Spanish (with the English translation) for practice. Pictures are encouraged!

• Good idea but there's not Passover in the place I'm living. What a pity:) - Fidalguinho- Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • Yes that is a shame. Which country do you live in? Maybe we could research this a bit to see if we can find someone who celebrates Passover near you. - Nicole-B Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • I'm sorry. But I only want you to know that most people here are not christian. - Fidalguinho- Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • Oh ok Fidalgo, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. - Nicole-B Apr 4, 2010 flag

Beautifully decorated Easter eggs are one of Easter traditions in Poland.

.

.

.

.

In some homes delicious cakes are prepared.

.

.

.

.

On Easter morning, (usually after the morning mass) families have breakfast that (basically) consists of bread, eggs, sausage, ham, mayonnaise, prepared horseradish, and various cakes and pies.

.

.

.

.

If you are a young and attractive girl... Okay, whoever you are (but young girls are especially vulnerable), beware... and don't come to Poland on Easter Monday, also called Dyngus Day, meaning "Wet Monday". People walking in the streets get caught and drenched with water. This very old tradition was meant to ensure health, good luck (in general) and success with men (in case of young unmarried women). However, not everyone is keen on getting wet and sometimes it's just better to stay at home... providing that your own husband or boyfriend doesn't wake you up with a jug of cold water or by throwing you into the bath!

.

.

Sí, chicas... ¡tened ciudado!

• That sounds like the best tradition ever. If you look anything like your picture I am sure you would be drenched all day. - jeezzle Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • Jejeje, thanks :) I do actually, though I don't wear veils on daily basis. But it's my personal tradition not to stick my head outside on "Wet Monday"! - Issabela Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • What's the weather like at Easter in Poland. Must be pretty cold? I imagine all the girls are wll wrapped up in waterproof coats - lagartijaver Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • The colored eggs are so beautiful...the getting wet tradition...not so much. - Nicole-B Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • Yes, this year it's rather cold, but it can be warm, too. - Issabela Apr 4, 2010 flag

Issabella said this about Poland:

OK, right now it is 6:44 AM and I am starting to make eggs, bacon, homefries and toast for the family (too much for me right now). But since I do this every Sunday, I guess it is not so special. rolleyes

We will be heading off to church after that. That reminds me of all of the years I enjoyed dressing my girls up in new dresses, curling their hair and putting on their "Easter bonnets". They are too old for that now, but I really miss those days. confused We would then grab the girls and my son for the "obligatory pictures"...which they always hated. wink

The most significant of our family traditions:

Como una familia, nosotros vamos a la iglesia, recordando la resurrección del Señor.

As a family, we go to church, remembering the resurrection of our Lord. alt text

Aqui en Inglaterra celebramos Pascua en la misma manera de en holanda, como ha dicho lena. Aunque creo que los niños pintan o decorar los huevos en cualquier momento cerca del fin de semana de Pascua.

Here in England we celebrate Easter in the same way as in Holland, as lena said. Although I think the children paint or decorate the eggs at any time around the Easter weekend.

For many people here, who aren't religious, the buying and eating of chocolate eggs and the 2 bank holidays either side of the weekend (plus of course the 2-week break from school) are the most notable aspects of Easter.

Felices Pascuas :D

Soy de holanda, y creo que celebramos Pascua como en muchos otros países en Europa. (So much for the 'obligatory' Spanish sentence, hope it made sense haha) On Sunday, people usually go to church, though not as many people do this as a few decades ago. In the areas close to the German border, they light Easter bonfires to celebrate the beginning of spring.

Children also search for eggs (traditionally they're real eggs, though we always did it with chocolate eggs), which have been hidden by the Easter bunny. Subsequently they color them.

I'm also quite curious how this is celebrated in other countries!

Felices pascuas!

• That is interesting. In the U.S., children color the eggs prior to Easter. - Nicole-B Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • In Poland too - usually on Good Friday, to have them ready for the Saturday when people take their baskets full of food to have them blessed by a priest in church - Issabela Apr 4, 2010 flag

Every year, in the U.S., the President and First Lady (whoever is in office at the time) hosts an Easter egg hunt for children on the lawn of the White House.

Here is a little girl in hot pursuit of an egg! alt text

• I've never heard of this before.. Cute! :) - lena-lena Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • Actualy, now that I see her, I believe it is an easter egg "roll". She appears to be "rolling" her egg along the lawn in a race. - Nicole-B Apr 4, 2010 flag

Here in Scotland the children are given Easter eggs on Easter Sunday. On the whole this is a fairly secular country so the long weekend is the major attraction.

Aquí, en Escocia los niños se dan los huevos de Pascua el Domingo de Pascua. En general este es un país bastante laico por lo que el puente de Pascua es la principal atracción.

• por lo que el fin de semana largo es la principal.... - Benz Apr 4, 2010 flag

In Catalonia, the holliday falls on Monday.

We eat delicious chocolate cakes with this.

This day is for the children.

Soy de Virginia. Para celebrar la Pascua, vamos a la iglesia y cantamos el "Aleluia" de Handel con el coro en conmemoración del triunfo de Cristo sobre la muerte.

I'm from Virginia. To celebrate Easter, we go to church and sing Handel's "Hallelujah" chorus with the choir to commemorate Christ's triumph over death!

My family also enjoys: coloring Easter eggs and drinking virgin piña coladas (no doubt a tradition unique to our family!); hunting for jelly beans hidden in the house; and gathering with all the family for lunch after church.

¡Feliz Pascua a todos!

En España hay muchas tradiciones, amiga, pero una de las más llamativas son las procesiones, las hay en todas partes, pero muy conocidas son las de Zamora y Sevilla, claro está.

La Macarenaalt text

Just studying Spanish and talking to you guys. What else is there?

Edit: Justo estudiando Español y hablando con ustedes. Que hay mas.

Edit: I have realized that most of what I say is idiomatic in some sense. Very frustrating. What else is there?

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBKdSCbmiM&feature=fvst - Issabela Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • what else is there ;)) - Issabela Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • Wow, that song was pretty cool. Reminds me of an exgirlfirend. - jeezzle Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • thanks issa! It makes me wonder how noticeable my english accent sounds when I sing in spanish! - galsally Apr 4, 2010 flag
  • At least have a few jelly beans while you study Jeezzle! :) - Nicole-B Apr 4, 2010 flag

No somos muy religiosos, pero celebramos el día como un día de fiesta. Voy a comer almuerzo con mi familia ésta tarde y disfrutar un día juntos. ¡Feliz Pacua todos!

We are not very religious, but we celebrate the day as a holiday. I am going to eat lunch with my family this afternoon and enjoy the day together. Happy Easter everyone!

En el Oriente Medio, soldados norteamericanos van a la iglesia en Pascua para conseguir el vino desde que alcohol no es permitido.

In the Middle East, American soldiers go to church on Easter to get the wine since alcohol is not allowed.

¡Feliz Pascua!

I never liked Easter. It's nice that Jesus died for our sins, but I find it rather morbid to celebrate him resurrecting after being nailed to a cross and dying a horrible death. I also don't like the other icons of Easter--bunnies and chicks. They creep me out. I know I sound psychotic, but I have good reasons. My family raised chickens--and chickens can be mean, particularly if they think you are withholding food. Then when I was little, I woke up one night to see a seven foot pink Easter bunny in front of my Easter basket. I had seen my basket earlier that night--and it was full of candy and Hello Kitty toys. When I grabbed the bunny's butt, he disappeared. When I woke up that morning, most of the cool toys and candy were gone. For years, I thought the Easter bunny had raided my basket because I had sexually harrassed him. Of course, now I think it is very likely one of my relatives stoled the candy and toys. I'm still traumatized, though.

My mother found a solution to this problem. On Easter, instead of a basket full of goodies, we get gifts--their expense depends on how good we are doing financially. Usually I ask for DVDs of movies or TV shows or video games.

¡Me gustan los dulces de Pascua!

Yo celebro la resurrección de mi Señor Jesús Cristo.

What else would you do on the most significant day since the foundation of the world.

The ressurection