This is a thread specifically designed with beginners in mind. If other exercises intimidate you this one shouldn't! Keep in mind that it doesn't matter if you don't get it all right. The actual process of attempting translation, and then correcting yourself is what helps us learn!

There are three rules:

1. Don't look at other people's translations until you have made your own.
  2. Do not use a translation engine. (Although you can use a dictionary)
  3. Do vote for the best answers and this thread. If there is a tie, votes make a difference.

So here is our sentence for Number 17:

"Por lo demás, hermanos, todo lo que es verdadero, todo lo honesto, todo lo justo, todo lo puro, todo lo amable, todo lo que es de buen nombre, si hay virtud alguna, si algo digno de alabanza, en esto pensad."

Filipenses 4:8

Please remember to answer and then vote generously! This helps our thread and helps to choose a winner because if there is a word-for-word tie the answer with the most votes wins! The winner automatically recieves 20 reputation points not counting any votes he/she may have garnered. Every participant receives a vote from me as well for participating. Keep in mind that if you need some time to come up with an answer and if the thread disappears you can find it under the category: Games and Challenges. Have fun! The translation will be posted on Sunday.

Translation:

Finally, brothers, everything that is true, honest, right, pure, agreeable, or is honorable, if there is any virtue in it, if it is worthy of praise, think about this.

Congratulations Ian! You have the most direct, modern, but still true to translation version. Thank you everyone for participating!

Congratulations Ian! You all did wonderful. Because there is always something left to interpretation when it comes to translating scripture, I must pick a straightforward, modern version in these exercises. You all did awesome, and I only wish you could each recieve the recognition you deserve. See you in the next exercise!

Our translation is coming in a few hours! Vote or participate!

Brothers, aside from all that is true about it, all its honesty, all its fairness, all its purity, all its nicety, all its good reputation; if it is virtuous, if it is praiseworthy, you must also consider at this point.

• This is a tough one, Renae. This is how I could make sense out of it. - Rikko Apr 2, 2010 flag
  • You were right on except or your last phrase, "you must also consider at this point". - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag
  • Thanks, Renae. I knew I still didn't have it right, but it was a good exercise in translation though. Next, please.... ;-) - Rikko Apr 5, 2010 flag

For the rest, my brothers, all that is true, all that is honest, all that is just, all that is kind, all that has a good name, if there is some virtue and if there is some dignity of praise, of this, think about.

Por lo demás, hermanos, todo lo que es verdadero, todo lo honesto, todo lo justo, todo lo puro, todo lo amable, todo lo que es de buen nombre, si hay virtud alguna, si algo digno de alabanza, en esto pensad."

Filipenses 4:8

"For the rest, boys, all that is truthful, all that is honest, all that is just, all that is pure, all that is kind, all that is of good name, if there is some virtue, if some dignity of praise, in this thought."

• Good job, but It is definitely brothers, not "boys". - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag

Apart from that, brothers, think about everything which is true, which is righteous, which is just, which is innocent, everything that is nice, about all good things. Consider whether there is any virtue, if there is anything praiseworthy.

• Pues... este fragmento no me cae muy bien pero he probado suerte con esto ;) - bomberapolac Apr 2, 2010 flag
  • Very good! See explanation. - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag

"Por lo demás, hermanos, todo lo que es verdadero, todo lo honesto, todo lo justo, todo lo puro, todo lo amable, todo lo que es de buen nombre, si hay virtud alguna, si algo digno de alabanza, en esto pensad." Filipenses 4:8

As for the rest, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honest, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever has a good name; if there is any virtue, anything worthy of praise, think about such things. Philippians 4:8

With dictionary help, as always. Though with this one, I have this verse sort-of-memorized from my childhood, so that helped me (maybe unfairly). Thanks for posting, Renae!

• Excellent!... your translation was right on albeit a little wordy for everyday language. See the explanation. - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag

"Moreover / besides, brothers, whatever is true, is noble, is right, is pure, is lovely, is admirable, if there is any virtue and if anything is worthy of praise, think on this."

• Beautiful yet modern...very good and congratulations! - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag

For the rest, brothers, all that is true, all that is honorable, all that is just, all that is pure, all that is lovely, all that is of good name, if there is any virtue, if any honorable praise, think on this. Philippians 4:8

Otherwise, brothers, all that is true, all that is honest, all that is just, all that is pure, all that is kind, all that is of good repute, if there is any virtue, if something is worthy of praise, think of that. --- Philippians 4:8

• I think "what's more" or "finally" are more acurate than otherwise...see translation - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag

Moreover brothers, all that is truth, all that is honest, all that is just/fair, all that is pure, all that is kind, all that is of good renown, if there is some virtue, if something is praiseworthy (dignified with praise?), think about this.

• Very beautiful...a little wordy and biblical sounding which Is completely fine, I like the translation it's just that we are looking for a straightforward modern English version.... - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag

For the rest, brothers, all that is true, all (that) is fair; all (that) is pure; all (that) is kind; all that is a good name - if there is any virtue - if something is praiseworthy - (yous) think this (way).

• Very good...see explanation... - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag
  • Looking forward to the next one Renae - gracias.... - nonombre Apr 5, 2010 flag

And finaly brothers ,whatsoever is true, is noble, is right , is pure, is lovely, and is admirable whatsoever of these is excellent or worthy of praise ,then think deeply on these things.

• "and act"? Everything else is beautiful...see the explanation. - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag
  • thank you I agrree ,it needed tweeking, I loved the winning one it was a perfect choice. - ray76 Apr 6, 2010 flag

For the remainder, brothers, think on all that is true, honest, just, pure, and kind and on all that is of good name, whether because it is virtuous or praiseworthy. Philippians 4:8

...tried a translation that minimizes some of the repetition.

• I thought the same but the rhythm of all that seems to add to the poetry - nizhoni1 Apr 1, 2010 flag
  • Very good! I like the first part..."Whether because it is virtuous or praiseworthy" is not quite it - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag

Whatever the others say, brothers, all that is true, all that is honest, all that is just, all that is pure, all that is lovely, all that is of good name, if there is any virtue, if there is anything worth of praise, consider these things.

• "whatever the others say"? I like your translation, but the first part changes the meaning a little. - renaerules Apr 5, 2010 flag