Día de los Inocentes/ April Fool's Day | SpanishDict Answers

Since today is April Fool's Day, I was curious if this day is celebrated with pranks and jokes in other countries. In the U.S., the tradition is to play a prank or say something less than truthful, only to exclaim "April Fools" to the person being pranked. Most people see right through the attempt, but on occasion, someone is truly fooled. wink

In Spanish or English, let's discuss if this day is observed in any special way in your country or describe an unusual prank you played or that was played on you. Maybe someone can even explain the origin of this day to us.

April 1 is called as FOOL’S day after Steve April. He was born on 1st April 1579 in Christchurch. Son of the owner of a textile chain Brian and Co. Fabrics, he always had a passion to try out various innovative things in life. He did 105 businesses in his life time. He married an old woman at the age of 22. Due to his adventure in business, he even lost the property earned by his dad and by 1629, he was bankrupt and was blacklisted by all financial agencies then. He was an epitome of foolishness and people started to call him as master of fools.

He also used to read all sorts of fake stories like you did just now.

I found this online regarding how April Fool's Day is celebrated in Spanish-speaking countries:

The minor U.S. holiday of April Fools' Day is little known in Spain and Latin America, but there a rough equivalent, el Día de los Santos Inocentes, observed on Dec. 28.

The day, observed in Spain (especially the southern areas) and parts of Latin America, is observed in much the same way as April Fools' Day. But when the prankster is ready to reveal the joke, the saying is "¡Inocente, inocente!" or "Innocent one, innocent one!"

• Ah, there you go. That was what we were celebrating here in the Philippines decades ago. - Rikko Apr 1, 2010 flag
  • Yes, In Argentina is on Dec 28th - Benz Apr 1, 2010 flag
  • And we say "Que la inocencia te valga" - Benz Apr 1, 2010 flag

Check out Google's banner today.

• I'm not getting that jeezle, I wonder why - galsally Apr 1, 2010 flag
  • I think jeezle just got you there. - Rikko Apr 1, 2010 flag

It is celebrated in Holland aswell, even the media participate. They sometimes come up with "scoops" only to reveal it was all a hoax on the next day.

According to Wikipedia the origin can't be traced with certainty. Some think the origin is to be found in the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, which didn't go down well with everybody so the people who opposed the new calendar tried to hang on to the old calendar only to be ridiculed. Others see connections with the start of spring that is celebrated around the first of April in many cultures.

A lot of countries give the date a national origin. In Holland they say that on the first of April, Alva - (Don Fernando Álvarez de Toledo, I think he was a general during the reign of Spanish King Filips the Second) lost the battle of Den Briel. The Dutch were trying to defeat the Spanish conquerer and Alva was sent to Holland to fight the rebels. This can't be the real origin though, because April Foolsday was celebrated before this battle.

Saludos, Chica

Our fifth child was born at twenty-nine weeks gestation, on April fool's day. My daughter was trying to call friends to tell themI had had the baby, 2 lbs and 13 ozs. she was greeted with many, Yeah, right April fools. She was finally able to convince some, he is a fine healthy 15 year old boy now.

• Then he must be two days older than my daughter, who celebrated her 15th on March 30th. :) I'm glad to hear that he is doing well! - Nicole-B Apr 1, 2010 flag
  • Sorry, two days younger. Math has never been my strong suit. jeje - Nicole-B Apr 1, 2010 flag

In the Philippines we are aware of April Fool's Day, but it seems that we see it as something too foreign to be applicable here. Maybe also because many years ago we had the equivalent of April Fool's Day, with pranks done on the unsuspecting victims, but the practice has fizzled out since perhaps the 1970s. It was celebrated on Dec. 28 and it was called "Niños Inocentes". It had a religious meaning, something to do with the Christ child, but I don't remember exactly what it was about anymore. Since people here lost interest in Niños Inocentes, maybe we see no reason to replace it with April Fools anymore.

Yes it's 'celebrated' here in England but if you attempt to fool someone after midday the 'joke is on you'. There have been various April Fool's jokes on radio and tv, I'll try to remember one (have something in my mind about 'spaghetti-growing' but maybe I'm mis-remembering as it sounds much too stupid for anyone to believe.....)

I have no idea as to its origins, sorry.

There is also a regular occurrence on the first day of any month, again up to midday, which mostly happens among schoolchildren. The aim is to 'get' someone before they get you, with a pinch, punch, first day of the month - and no returns. Lovely custom raspberry

• You're right, it was a news item about the spaghetti harvest in Italy, they had film of long pieces of spaghetti hanging on trees. I think it was in the 1970s, spaghetti was a novelty in Britain and lots of people believed it! - Richard-Thom Apr 1, 2010 flag
  • rotfl that is a great one! - chicasabrosa Apr 1, 2010 flag

Here's a news story from today's edition of my local paper ... can't wait to see if this "fashion" trend catches on! Hike

National Public Radio always has a story on "All THings Considered," the evening news show that sounds believeable, especially if you are listening while doing something else, e.g., driving home from work. Then it turns out to be a hoax. I've been fooled more than once, although now I know to listen for it.

In Boston, Robert J. Lurtzema, the classical morning music show host, always started his show with real bird songs. Lots of people set their alarms to it, as it's nicer to awaken to birds than to buzzers. Robert J always gave the birds one day off a year, April Fool's, and then he'd play something noisey and dissonate.

grins, A

Yes in Serbia, we also have a day of fools.. And if we fools someone we say "Aprilili".. Anyway I adore this day because anything is allowed to do... here are some of the best jokes in history that i found:

1957: The respected BBC news show Panorama announced that thanks to a very mild winter and the virtual elimination of the dreaded spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop. It accompanied this announcement with footage of Swiss peasants pulling strands of spaghetti down from trees. Huge numbers of viewers were taken in. Many called the BBC wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this the BBC diplomatically replied, "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best."

1985: Sports Illustrated published a story about a new rookie pitcher who planned to play for the Mets. His name was Sidd Finch, and he could reportedly throw a baseball at 168 mph with pinpoint accuracy. This was 65 mph faster than the previous record. Surprisingly, Sidd Finch had never even played the game before. Instead, he had mastered the "art of the pitch" in a Tibetan monastery under the guidance of the "great poet-saint Lama Milaraspa." Mets fans celebrated their teams' amazing luck at having found such a gifted player, and Sports Illustrated was flooded with requests for more information. In reality this legendary player only existed in the imagination of the author of the article, George Plimpton.

1962: In 1962 there was only one tv channel in Sweden, and it broadcast in black and white. The station's technical expert, Kjell Stensson, appeared on the news to announce that, thanks to a new technology, viewers could convert their existing sets to display color reception. All they had to do was pull a nylon stocking over their tv screen. Stensson proceeded to demonstrate the process. Thousands of people were taken in. Regular color broadcasts only commenced in Sweden on April 1, 1970.

mexico in the held on december 18, do jokes borrowed money request. but only those with confidence, because not everyone has the same temperament. LOL LOL LOL red face surprised

• it is December 28th. - Mokay Apr 1, 2010 flag

Mistaken double post