"El hombre pobre, o El pobre hombre" | SpanishDict Answers

¡ El hombre no tiene mas mucho dinero!

¿Esta es un hombre pobre , o él es un pobre hombre?

The man does not have much money ,, "he is a poor man"

Which statement best reflects this,-pobre before or after Hombre?

Pobre is one of those adjectives whose meaning depends on position, so this is a really good question! You have my vote! Let me explain:

pobre

grande

cierto

antiguo

mismo

viejo

This is the list of adjectives that can appear before or after the subject and this position changes its meaning.

el pobre niño = the poor, unfortunate little boy

el hombre pobre = the poor man (without money)

There is an important difference in meaning!

Let me know if you want more details or further explanation. Hope this helps...

You got to say "el hombre pobre" (a man with few money).

"el pobre hombre" means like "the poor devil", an unlucky one, not just about money, in life in general.

• Yes! that is what i wanted to know ,if before the noun it means -an unfortunate man , and after the noun a man who is impoverished. Thank you so much. - ray76 Mar 28, 2010 flag

I would think " hombre pobre" but wait for someone more experienced. I'm also going to watch this for an answer because I'm not sure "mas" belongs in there.

If you are trying to say,

"The poor man does not have enough money". (is this what you were trying to say with mas mucho?)...you would say "El hombre pobre no tiene dinero bastante (or suficiente)."

Bastante = enough

You could also use:

Suficiente = sufficient

• I felt bastante may say " he does not have enough to pay for his drinks, but i want it known he does not have much money at all ,is that right? - ray76 Mar 28, 2010 flag

In the Reference section under Grammar ->Adjectives -> Placement you'll find a good amount of information which will help, including 18 adjectives which change meaning according to placement.

I'm really glad you asked this question, it prompted me to look it up and find something else to learn and practise! smile

how about these phrases: I can do this on the translation section of the site but I don't want to cheat myself.

Las casas viejas = The old houses

Las casa viejas de español = The old spanish houses

Las lecciones = lessons

Las lecciones de español = Spanish lessons

Las comidas de Mejicanas = Mexican foods

canciones = songs

canciones de amor = love songs

??????? = spanish love songs

La lengua español = Spanish language

La idioma de español = Spanish language

Los grandes boxeadores Mejicanos = The great Mexican boxers

Delete

Delete