I used this expression to a good Argentinian friend thinking I was saying "I can't wait to see you" but he came back with "que ya no me quieres ver mas" which means "what, you already don't want to see me anymore?"

This has backfired and I need to say" Sorry, my Spanish is very bad. I want to see you very much and look forward to meeting you again on April 9th in Buenos Aires" Help, por favor!!

Hello Robstar. Please don't open more than one question for the same subject. It can get confusing and it's harder to help you. grin

I think I understand the source of the confusion. You said "No puedo esperar para verte"; which can in fact be translated as "I can't wait to see you".

However, (disapproving fatherly tone here) maybe this guy isn't so sure about himself, and he chose to interpret it as "I am not willing to wait in order to see you again". That is, it appears he chose to understand that since you couldn't see him right away, you weren't going to hang around and wait until the next chance came up. So naturally he thought: "Oh... I'm not so important to you that you are not willing to wait - you don't want to see me again!!!"

Where I come from, we call that "ahogarse en un vaso de agua" ("A storm in a cup" I think is the English equivalent).

Anyway, if you wish to sort the situation out you can tell the boy: "Disculpa, hablo poco español y no me expliqué bien. Quise decir que tengo muchas ganas de verte, y espero con ansias nuestro encuentro el 9 de Abril en Buenos Aires."

(Sorry, I don't speak much Spanish and I didn't explain myself so well. I meant to say I do very much want to see you, and I am anxiously looking forward to seeing you on April 9 in BA).

After that, maybe you want to stick English, or else find a way to convey to him that Spanglish can be tricky, and trust is important in that sort of communication.

There. Mr. Abby signing out for the day. Good luck! grin

• I'm not sure about a storm in a cup, but we say "a tempest in a teapot." - Goyo Mar 26, 2010 flag
  • That clicked it: I was thinking of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_in_a_Teacup - Gekkosan Mar 26, 2010 flag

Hola,

For "can't wait to see you" you can say, "no veo la hora de verte"...

Have fun visiting!!!

Ian said:

"Quiero verte mucho" "I want to see you very much"

Not really Ian, this would mean: I want to see a lot of youwink

Tengo muchas ganas de verte , that is what you are looking for, Robwink

• You've got my vote! - Goyo Mar 26, 2010 flag
  • I get what you mean Heidi. I was just suggesting something to say to correct the mis-understanding. - ian-hill Mar 27, 2010 flag

You said "I can't wait." In other words you were not going to wait for the friend.

Now you can say "Quiero verte mucho" "I want to see you very much"

I think the lesson here is to be very cautious about directly translating into Spanish anything that even remotely resembles an idiom.

"I can't wait to _______ " is our idiomatic way of saying that we look forward to something with anticipation and excitement.

But probably the thing that kills this expression for Spanish is that esperar also means "to hope.". Thus, you told your friend, "I can't hope to see you." jajaja. ¡Que mal!

Podrías decir : Lo lamento /lo siento, mi español no es bueno . Quiero verte/ tengo ganas de verte y nos vemos otra vez el 9 de abril en Buenos Aires.