My boyfriend, who is from Honduras, said to me, "me encanta." I thought that meant "I love you" but wasn't sure so I asked him. He said it meant that he was very happy with me. Can me encanta mean just I like you a lot, or does it really mean love?

• If he´s using the "usted" form of address, he is probably not declaring his "love". - samdie Mar 22, 2010 flag

I think it means much more than happy. Our dictionary confirms your thoughts,

encantar = to love

verb

encantar transitive verb 1. (gustar)

* encantarle a alguien algo/hacer algo -> to love something,

doing something * ¡me encanta! -> I love it/him/her!

1. to bewitch, to cast a spell on (embrujar)

Copyright © 2006 Chambers Harrap Publishers Limited

encantar [en-can-tar'] article & verb transitive 1. To enchant, to charm, to conjure, to bewitch, to cast a spell on (con magia). 2. To fascinate, to delight in a high degree.

* Nos encanta la casa -> we are delighted with the house

Velazquez® Spanish and English Dictionary. Copyright © 2007 by Velazquez® Press. All rights reserved

It can be as innocuous as ""Charmed".

Me encanta could translate as... I am mad about you. It is often used about something you are very keen on. I am mad about Beethoven so I would say 'Me encanta Beethoven.

"Me encanta verte y poder estar cerca de ti."

What would you translate this like then...? I understand it like: I like to spend time with you.

But can it be ment romanticly??

If he said "te amo" that means he loves as a boyfriend. "Te quiero" would mean he loves you as a friend/sister/cousin. "Me encanta" is just him saying he likes you a lot

He said it meant that he was very happy with me.

As an attorney friend might say: Asked and answered. However, he may be happy with you BECAUSE he loves you!!

I think it´s a very personal choice how far you can get saying ¨Usted me encanta¨ instead of ¨La amo¨. If he´s so formal as to address you as usemphasized textted despite his apparent strong feelings, he´s probably so shy he would say Usted me encanta meaning I love you.

But, in the end, what´s in a word?

What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."

I think you had the answer before asking wink

Me encanta can be used in different fields but in this case means he loves you and he really enjoy to be with you.

The way I learned it, me gusta is "I like" and me encanta is "I Love".

Me gusta la pan I like bread.

Me encanta la pan. I love bread.

cool smile

• Hi the correct way to say it, is, Me gusta EL pan, and me ecanta El pan :) :) - Milagro1983 Oct 27, 2010 flag

Me encanta... means "I love it"... he could love being with you, he loves something about you... or something like that.

I never address my girlfriend with "usted", that would be extremely weird... but since he is from a country in South America that might be normal...

if that's the case he's saying he likes you