2

I want to describe my pet guinea pig, but don't know translation for guinea pig in spanish.

3

A guinea pig is a "cuy" in Spanish, but don't take the poor thing to Ecuador or Perú. big surprise

It's also more properly known as a "conejillo de Indias"

• Mar 18, 2010
  • Definitely, they are as much pets in the Andean coutries as chickens, pigs, and cows are in US farms! Yum! - Gekkosan Mar 18, 2010
  • I didn't want to be too specific :) - CalvoViejo Mar 18, 2010
  • Oh my god, the poor babies. :( How could you eat something so adorable? :( Although, I do think chickens are, too. - LiveUnsheath Jan 17, 2011
  • I eat St. Bernards - afowen Jan 17, 2011
  • Also eaten in some regions of southern Colombia... - LuisaGomezBa Jan 17, 2011
2

also, cobayo

• Mar 18, 2010
1

It is called "cuyo" when is a pet. In science it is called "conejillo de indias".

1

Five mins later... alt text

• Jan 17, 2011
  • | Edited by afowen Jan 17, 2011
1

In Cuba, at least in old documents written by medical researchers who used guinea pigs in the way they are used best -- apologies to pet lovers and gourmands -- a guinea pig is called a "curiel." Is there anyone out there from Cuba who can confirm or deny?

• Nov 13, 2014
  • Welcome to SpanishDict. - rac1 Nov 13, 2014
0

It's true, "los cuyes" (plural of "cuy") are not only pets in Perú, especially in some towns of the Andes, not in Lima, the capital. People raise them at home as chickens to some day be part of the "menu". It happen the same In Ecuador where "el cuy" is a very popular dish. Here in New York, one of those special dishes can cost you up to 50 or 60 dollars in a fancy Ecuadorian restaurant.

• Mar 18, 2010
  • Funny how a humble food in one place becomes a fancy, expensive dish in another. - Gekkosan Mar 18, 2010
0

I have some confusion with cobaya and cobayo. In lesson 2.9, they have el cobaya, instead of el cobayo, which I thought would be the correct version. Any thoughts on this?

• Jan 17, 2011
0

Curí in Colombia.

I got some odd looks from my mate's parents when I told them I was making curry...

You can bet on them here, which is fun...

• Jan 17, 2011
  • | Edited by afowen Jan 17, 2011
0

¡una cobaya muy mona!

• Jan 17, 2011
0

Creo que la palabra correcta es 'primero plato' wink

• Nov 13, 2014
0

el cuy

• Nov 14, 2014