How do you say guinea pig? | SpanishDict Answers

I want to describe my pet guinea pig, but don't know translation for guinea pig in spanish.

A guinea pig is a "cuy" in Spanish, but don't take the poor thing to Ecuador or Perú. big surprise

It's also more properly known as a "conejillo de Indias"

• Definitely, they are as much pets in the Andean coutries as chickens, pigs, and cows are in US farms! Yum! - Gekkosan Mar 18, 2010 flag
  • I didn't want to be too specific :) - CalvoViejo Mar 18, 2010 flag
  • Oh my god, the poor babies. :( How could you eat something so adorable? :( Although, I do think chickens are, too. - LiveUnsheath Jan 17, 2011 flag
  • I eat St. Bernards - afowen Jan 17, 2011 flag
  • Also eaten in some regions of southern Colombia... - LuisaGomezBa Jan 17, 2011 flag

also, cobayo

It is called "cuyo" when is a pet. In science it is called "conejillo de indias".

Five mins later... alt text

In Cuba, at least in old documents written by medical researchers who used guinea pigs in the way they are used best -- apologies to pet lovers and gourmands -- a guinea pig is called a "curiel." Is there anyone out there from Cuba who can confirm or deny?

• Welcome to SpanishDict. - rac1 Nov 13, 2014 flag

It's true, "los cuyes" (plural of "cuy") are not only pets in Perú, especially in some towns of the Andes, not in Lima, the capital. People raise them at home as chickens to some day be part of the "menu". It happen the same In Ecuador where "el cuy" is a very popular dish. Here in New York, one of those special dishes can cost you up to 50 or 60 dollars in a fancy Ecuadorian restaurant.

• Funny how a humble food in one place becomes a fancy, expensive dish in another. - Gekkosan Mar 18, 2010 flag

I have some confusion with cobaya and cobayo. In lesson 2.9, they have el cobaya, instead of el cobayo, which I thought would be the correct version. Any thoughts on this?

Curí in Colombia.

I got some odd looks from my mate's parents when I told them I was making curry...

You can bet on them here, which is fun...

¡una cobaya muy mona!

Creo que la palabra correcta es 'primero plato' wink

el cuy