how do u say im cold in spanish | SpanishDict Answers

i need it 4 homework

He he, this question always reminds me of the classic mistake. Before I get into that, the answer: You want to say "Tengo frío"

The reason I say that is because Spanish speakers do not use the verb "to be" when talking about the temperature they feel. The classic mistake is when an English speaking woman goes to a discotéca, starts dancing with a Spanish speaking guy and, feeling a bit warm from the dancing, says to the guy "¡Estoy caliente!" which literally means "I am hot!" but in Spanish would be understood to mean "I am horny!"

So remember, if you are an English speaker and are translating in your head, never say "I am hot/cold"

• Sorry - this is not correct and goes back to a previous post re using sexual inuendos - caza Mar 16, 2010 flag
  • what previous post? - Morethan3wor Mar 16, 2010 flag
  • Original answer here was "Hace frio" which is why I said it wa not correct! Previous post refers to "Adult content questions" by Mountain Girl - caza Mar 17, 2010 flag
  • Yeah, I corrected it because you were right :) I didn't think this post would really be controversial, but I'll go find that post you mentioned. - Morethan3wor Mar 17, 2010 flag
  • Thanks - just trying to be helpful. I actually thought yours was quite funny! - caza Mar 19, 2010 flag

Someone will jump in, I´m sure, and ask you to use correct punctuation and capitalization on the forum, but the answer to your question is "Tengo frio" This is an expression using Tener - to have, in other words in Spanish they say "I have cold" rather than "I am cold" There are various links to using expressions which I am sure will help you learn.