It's a round, hard outer shell fruit about the size of a tangerine, but light in colot. It has a long, hard, small diameter stick that connects it to the tree. When you break it open it has slimmy fruit with little seeds that you scoop out with a spoon or slurp it.

Passion Fruit

Passion fruit

Maracuya

Granadilla passion fruit (same picture as Passion fruit there also)

In my cocktail on Friday night, they were called 'maracuja' - if that helps!!

Granadilla, Purple Granadilla. You get them in Australia and New Zealand but I think they originally came from South America

In much of South America, passion fruit is called "maracuyá". The word is a corruption of the Guaraní word "mburucuyá". In Paraguay, where Guaraní is as commonly spoken as Spanish and has a great influence on the Paraguayan Spanish dialect, they use the original Guaraní.

this dictionary says "pasión de la fruta" which sounds suspect to me, but that was the text

• *Definitely* suspect, not to mention plain wrong. - Gekkosan Nov 16, 2011 flag

In Colombia it is known as "maracuya" w/a y and not a j (this must have been a misspelling on the drink menu)! It is NOT the same thing as granadilla! Granadilla are little seeds (pepitas) w/a slightly hard outside and once you bite into them they let out all their juice!

I have been to Colombia several times and what has been previously posted is NOT correct! Pls don't misinform the readers!

Incidentally, Colombia has some of the MOST interesting and delicious fruits!

...do I stand corrected? Are there little seeds "granadilla" in the maracuya? I don't think so -- is there anyone from Colombia on this board that can clarify this for me?

Thanks!

• You do indeed. Granadilla is a fruit similarly looking to maracuyá but has a more brittle skin and pretty much no taste. - afowen Apr 9, 2013 flag

Thank you all for your input.

My cousin in Mexico City where I have eaten these delicious fruits, tells me that they are called "Granada de China".

I'm from Guanajuato Mexico and my grandma calls it granada china but I've never seen it here in the states

I'm from the Dominican Republic and we call it chinola

In The Philippines we called it, Granadilla or Mirinda.

Granada china