Terremoto en Chile, esperemos que todos los amigos esten bien ¡¡updated!! | SpanishDict Answers

Terremoto en Chile con más de 50 muertosconfused

Una sacudida tremenda. Espero que nuestros amigos y sus familieres esten bien. ohh

Update by zenejero on the terrible quake:

right now i am here. last night at 3:41 am there was a 9.1 earthquake in chile. the epicenter was not in the place where i am, but rather some 50 miles south. the whole middle of the country... i am in the middle though.

many places collapsed; the water and electricity and gas are shut down in different areas, and i just got electricity back in the place where i am. i also have water.

the news are not that bad but not that good either... and it's hard waiting for news as landlines are mostly dead and cell phones are dead too... so far i've heard of some friends deaths, and some friend's relatives. my direct family is ok but badly shaken, and my oldest brother was in the city where it hit the hardest (in the city where i am it hit as hard as 6.9/7.0)

if anyone hears anything please know that there are (so far) not so many deaths, and that things are sort of stable... the aftershocks or 'replicas' of the earthquake are as hard as 6.2 right now, and they come in waves every 45 minutes or so... it's hard, but we'll make it.

hope everyone is safe and sound!

**Latest update by our friend blackbull from Chile**

Han sido momentos difíciles. Hasta un par de horas atrás, el conteo de fallecidos era de 708 personas y un número no calcualdo de desaparecidos. Los rescatistas esperan encontrar más cuerpos bajo los escombros de ciudades como Concepción, Constitución, y otras ciudades costeras. Se nos informa que entre las regiones 6ª y 9ª hubo Tsunamis. El maremoto fue muy fuerte en la 8ª región (Concepción), localización del epicentro del seísmo. Fue en las costas de esta regíon donde se cuenta el mayor número de fallecidos y desaparecidos, ya que el mar se tragó las ciudades y pueblos costeros.

Las réplicas han sido bastante fuertes. Hasta el momento, en el sector de Santiago donde me encuentro, no hubo ningún derrumbe, tenemos agua y electricidad; aunque hay anunciado un corte del suministro para las próximas horas.

• It was on May 22, 1960 when the Great Chilean Earthquake, the most powerful earthquake, measured magnitude of 9.5 Mw occured - Fidalguinho- Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • The magnitude 8.8 earthquake in 2010 has been the second strongest in Chile since then - Fidalguinho- Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • well... it's been super hard, and the aftershocks are as hard as 6.1 - zenejero Feb 27, 2010 flag

update:

it's 10:01 pm and the power just came back in my house... we've had water all day long, which is always a great thing to have, but the phones were down and the cellphones were absolutely dead.

as i was saying before, the death count as of 9pm is 280, but they don't know for sure as they keep on finding people buried under houses and buildings.

in viña del mar (where i am right now) there's been some serious aftershocks as strong as 6 in richter scale. in santiago, for what i know from friends, it's been the usual: the old constructions from before 1985 have taken it perfectly (unless they are really old and decrepit), but the new areas built around or after the 90's have collapsed, if not all of them, many. some places saw whole buildings collapse within, whereas others saw the pillars that hold the constructions collapse. there's been reports of people that lived in 8th floors who were found in basements.

as i said, water and the basic things are coming back as the companies are testing the pipes and lines... they're just making sure that the lines are not broken or will not collapse and explode.

it's hard finding out about people as there's no way to contact friends and families in most cases, but we can only hope for the best. also, there's been comments from the different areas talking about bad aftershocks that are to-be-expected anywhere from now to a month from now.

i will be updating as i hear more and more, but so far people on facebook/twitter and on email are sending me news. right now, and as i type, a big and strong aftershock of 4.7 happened, so i will leave it to here as i'm expecting the power to go off again.

10-4!

• Glad to hear that you and your family are safe Zenejero - Izanoni1 Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • zenejero, it is soo good to have you here, thanks for letting us know. - 00494d19 Feb 28, 2010 flag
  • thanks a lot, zene, your help has been incredible - 00494d19 Mar 5, 2010 flag

Plates

Since Chile lies along the boundary of the Nazca and the South American Plates, it has faced a lot of earthquakes. As you see, the Nazca Plate is moving toward and underneath the West of South America and this movement is forming a subduction called the Peru-Chile Trench or the Atacama Trench. The Chile Triple Junction where these two plates and the Antarctica Plate meet consists of the Chile Rise and seafloor spreading lets magma rise. The geography of Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica was affected and many earthquakes and tsunamis occur.

Estoy orando por nuestro buen amigo Carlos y su familia. Espero qué todos esten bien.

I was checking the account of Carlos-F and his last seen was one hour right before the earthquake... I'm really worried about him... And I hope that he and his family are OK...

• yeah. - LAtINaPunKRO Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • I hope he is OK, too. :-( Hopefully, he has only lost power and telephone service. - webdunce Feb 28, 2010 flag

Chile está mucho más preparado que, por ejemplo, Haiti. Tiene mucho mejor infraestructura y estabilidad de gobierno.

Chile is much more prepared than, say, Haiti. It has much better infrastructure and government stability.

• Yes, but Chile is in between Presidents, Michelle Bachelet is the current president and the president-elect is Sebastian Pinera. - LAtINaPunKRO Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • Therefore it makes governmental involvement... well tough. Because people will analyze her like crazy, and him for what he does prior to becoming the president. - LAtINaPunKRO Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • That is true I suppose but at least they can recover, unlike Haiti. - TheSilentHer Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • yes. - LAtINaPunKRO Feb 27, 2010 flag

Ojalá que el tsunami no haga muchos daños a los lugares costeros.

• already there is a whole town that was wiped by a tsunami. - zenejero Feb 27, 2010 flag

The latest news from the BBC says that at least 76 people are dead. ( Las últimas noticias de la BBC dicen que por lo menos hay 76 personas fallecidas). downer

P.D. Un saludo de ánimo a todos nuestros amigos chilenos.

• the death count is up to 280 as of 9pm - zenejero Feb 27, 2010 flag

Estoy mirando las noticias en TV Chile... recordé instantáneamente a Carlos... esperemos esté bien junto a su familia. Hubo movimientos leves en muchas ciudades de Argentina, pero nada comparado con lo que pasó en Chile.

.

News in Englisn about the earthqueke: http://www.buenosairesherald.com/BreakingNews/View/26343

• Glad to hear that you are OK Benz - Izanoni1 Feb 27, 2010 flag

Según la conexión de Heidi, hay setenta y ocho muertos. Espero que el numero de los víctimas no aumente. Estoy pensando en Carlos, su familia, y todas las otras familias.

• La tele está diciendo que los muertos son 78 y que gran parte de Santiago está sin luz y sin servicio de teléfonos - Benz Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • concepción, santiago and viña del mar: no water, phone or electricity... as i mentioned above, the death count is on 280 as of 9pm.... - zenejero Feb 27, 2010 flag

¿Ha tenido alguien noticias de Carlos? creo que vive en Santiago. Ojalá que todo salga bien

• The disaster was not strong in Santiago region - Fidalguinho- Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • Santiago tiene problemas también Fidalgo. Los vuelos han sido suspendidos y no hay servicios de luz y de teléfono. - Benz Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • the epicenter was only some 4 hours from santiago... - zenejero Feb 27, 2010 flag

I just read:

In Hawaii (USA), officials are warning residents about the possibility of a Tsunami,

with the first waves scheduled to arrive at 11:19 a.m. local time.

For the first time in 16 years, Hawaii will sound evacuation sirens indicating the possibility of danger to those in the coastal regions.

• Sí, y la isla de Pascua ya ha sido evacuada... - Benz Feb 27, 2010 flag

I am trying to get in touch with Carlos, I think wwe have more Chilean members, I hope all are well, let's see if I hear from carlos. downer ohh

• Yes, I hope he's alright! - LAtINaPunKRO Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • @heidita: thing is, phones are down, and so are cell phones. i haven't been able to get in touch with my brother, who was at the epicenter. all i know is he got in his car withh the wife and two kids and is driving to my parents. - zenejero Feb 27, 2010 flag

Apparently our east coast (Australia) is on Tsunami alert. (Impact expected in about an hour from now (it's now 8am Sunday morning). I know that in the Pacific to Australian's east there are many, many low-lying islands........

• omg... I hope nowhere close to where you live, annie:-S - 00494d19 Feb 27, 2010 flag
  • No - no te preocupes Heidita - vivo en las montañas - aproximadament ochenta kilometres oeste del costa - pero - gracias... - nonombre Feb 27, 2010 flag

We hope that nobody else will die and the aftermath won't be too serious with Chilean people's life.

Hope to hear from Carlos. And anyone else in the area.You never know where people may be traveling.Thanks for letting us know. I am not in touch with the news much.