How to type upside down exclamation point? | SpanishDict Answers

I know that spanish uses the upside down question mark (¿). Does anyone know how to type the upside down exclamation point (!)?

• There is a FireFox add-in (free, of course) called abcTajpu that allows these characters to be added when writing a message. - cykler Feb 8, 2010 flag

Hey, You can type an upside down exclamation point by

-1. Holding down the ALT key

-2. Typing the numbers 173

You can learn how to make other symbols here: Spanish Accent Marks

• Thanks Alot! It worked perfectly and I learned how to make an upside down question mark from the site you listed aswell ¡ - FlowFusion Jun 30, 2013 flag
  • Thanks, that was very really helpful! I also watched the video on the site you linked to and it explained everything in a way that was simple and easy to understand. Thanks Alot! - SenorGucamol Sep 5, 2013 flag

There are many more things you must type than just that one thing. Here is an article that will help you.

I strongly recommend using the US International Keyboard, which you can easily configure on your PC. This article will tell you how.

• Thanks, that was very helpful. Is it possible to change the OS language to Spanish? (I have both PC and Mac.) - cykler Feb 8, 2010 flag
  • Wow! This is awesome. I didn't realize it was that easy to change your keyboard. Much easier than trying to work around it and cut and paste every single time I want an accent mark. Thanks so much! - jaimecole Feb 8, 2010 flag
  • You're welcome Jaime. It really does make it easier. And cykler, I'm sure you can, but I bet you have to do it when you install Windows. I've set all my interfaces, such as for email and Facebook, to Spanish. But my Windows is still English. - Goyo Feb 8, 2010 flag

¡sʞɹoʍ uo-ppɐ xoɟǝɹıɟ ǝɥʇ

you can change your keyboard to spanish(latin american) and then use the same button for ¿ + shift = ¡

also is possible to use the numeric pad with : alt+ 173 = ¡ http://tools.oratory.com/altcodes.html

and of course you can just copy and paste the symbol every time you need it

cheers

If you haven't yet changed your keyboard, try this:

While holding down the Alt key, use the numeric keypad to type the following numbers:

Alt + 0191 to get the ¿

Alt + 0161 to ge the ¡

It is not necessary to type the +

As recommended, the International Keyboard is the best, but I hope this will help you (in the meantime). smile

I haven't been on a PC in a while with the purpose of typing something in spanish, but I believe the ¿ is ALT + 0191 and the ¡ is ALT + 0173.

On a Macintosh, it's much easier. ALT + Shift + ? for ¿ ALT + 1 for ¡

Just in case, the PC accents(as I remember them from a year or two ago) are as follows:

á - ALT + 0255

é - ALT + 0233

í - ALT + 0237

ó - ALT + 0220

ú - I have no idea!

ñ - ALT + 0241

On a Mac, press ALT + e + vowel to put an accent over it. Press ALT + n + n to create ñ.

I apologize if those are old codes for PC... it's been a while. smile Hope that helped.

• á, é, í, ó, ú, ñ =>ALT + 160, 130, 161, 162, 163, 164 on a regular english (US) keyboard :) - Partho Feb 8, 2010 flag

On a Mac, it is simply:

alt/option + 1.

hope this helps!

• This question is from 2010. I think all the information is a good idea though. - rac1 May 17, 2014 flag

At the same time, press "alt + shift + ?" on a Mac and the result will be "¿"

At the same time, press "alt + 1" on a Mac and the result will be "¡"

• Thanks, but I doubt the OP is still here. - rac1 May 17, 2014 flag

Hello Raúl,

Weclome to SpanishDict smile

Instead of having to type all these codes you can simply go to Typeit.org and choose the language you want and all the accents you need will be available including the inverted (¡ upside down !) exclamation mark!:You can follow this direct link to their website! enter link description here

Easy-peasy isn't it?! wink Take the stress out of typing accents and use this free website (They do ask for donations, but that is your choice whether you make one and for how much!)

I hope this helps smile

• This question is from 2010. - rac1 May 17, 2014 flag
  • LOl;l Yes, Rac I realize that now but people keep bringing up the old questions - FELIZ77 May 17, 2014 flag
  • I know, but it is still very useful. :) - rac1 May 17, 2014 flag

If this is a regular desktop PC the you use the numeric pad in combination with the ALT key. Same thing goes for a PC notebook that has a separate Keypad. In case your Notebook doesn't have a separate numeric keypad, see if you have number is another color on the M JKL UIO 789 keys. If you do, then look for the function (Fn) key in the same color and on, so in order to get the desired Spanish character you have to press and keep pressed Fn +Alt and then enter the numbers on the above mentioned keys.

Here is a complete list:

129 ü

130 é

144 É

154 Ü

155 ¢

156 £

160 á

161 í

162 ó

163 ú

164 ñ

165 Ñ

166 ª

167 º

168 ¿

171 ½

172 ¼

173 ¡

174 «

175 »

0193 Á

0205 Í

0211 Ó

0218 Ú

• Thanks amigo. I can use this information, but the question is from 2010. - rac1 May 17, 2014 flag
  • Useful at anytime, though. :) - chileno May 17, 2014 flag

You can always put your computer upside down tongue laugh

Thanks, that was very helpful. Is it possible to change the OS language to Spanish? (I have both PC and Mac.)

Yes, in Windows go into Control Panel, Clock, Languages & Regions and when you get to the window for installing different keyboards, up above, you will see a selection of input languages. Select the variety of Spanish that you prefer.

I'm using Windows 7 at the moment (I can't recall if it is the same for Vista which I also have installed on this computer), but every time that I boot to my desktop it initially pops up a Window asking which Language that I want to use.

You can also change your time and date formatting to Spanish (numbers to use commas where English uses periods) etc.

You can usually add or change languages for your spell checkers, etc.

Most browsers now ask you what language that you wish to see web pages in etc. Individual sites like this one may allow you to view their site in different languages or you can get your browser to do automatic page translation. My google toolbar asks me me what language that I want to see the page in for every page that I go to. Quite annoying sometimes.

Thank you all for the Answers. I'm going to have to look into the international keyboard you mention.

The current Alt + key strokes are: 160 = á 130 = é 161 = í 162 = ó 163 = ú 164 = ñ 165 = Ñ 168 = ¿

I still have to find the upside down exlamation mark.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Raúl

• Actually, for me, alt+0161 makes ¡ - webdunce Feb 8, 2010 flag

Some people will just type a lower case i, though I don't really recommend it.

Compare:

iVaya!

¡Vaya!

If you just need it once in a while that will do the trick, though. But for more routine use, it is best to follow Goyo's advice and install the US International keyboard which will allow alt+1 to make ¡, alt+/ to make ¿, and easy accents, too (á, é, í, ó, ú, ü).