2

Watching a movie tonight, in some of the scenes they would use the word órale, from one gangbanger to another. I got the spelling from the on-screen captions. Could it be 'pray for him'? If so, it just wouldn't make sense.

For example, after a line in the movie "put him up, shut him up" the other gangbanger said "órale. vamos"

• you pray for him,before i due the unthinkable to him??? - 0063492c Feb 1, 2010

3

It means:

Sure!; OK!; Come on!; Right!

In the movie it probably meant, Ok, Let's Go!

• Feb 1, 2010
  • | Edited by Rolest Feb 1, 2010
  • Thank you Rolest. I asked a couple of Mexican guys and they confirmed your answer :~) - Jack-OBrien Feb 3, 2010
2

Orale is like an agreement. Saying Ok, let's do it. Or yea I agree with what your saying. It's informal to use, it's not really a word.

• Aug 18, 2010
2

I wonder why it is not in the dictionary?

órale.

1. interj. coloq. Méx. U. para exhortar.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

SD dictionary

Need we mention which corner that you should go sit in?

• Silly me ..... it is in the dictionary. It must be used as a slang word. I hear it often. - Daniel Jul 8, 2011
1

It is "órale" with a accent on the ó. I translate as "go for it" or "okay", "Right!" I think "Go for it" is probably the best.

"órale" is very common -- I wonder why it is not in the dictionary?

• Jul 8, 2011
1

"Órale" is slang ( at least in Mexico). It is not normally heard in the ivory towers.

There are several meanings to this word; it can be used to express: surprise, admiration, being upset, agreement, disagreement, irritation, exhortation.

Google it and you will find it in many places.

• Jul 8, 2011
  • | Edited by Agora Jul 8, 2011
0

Hey "Qfreed" here is another one .... "Flaquito" I was told it means "Sweetheart"

Have you heard this?

• Jul 8, 2011
  • Nah, it's the diminutive of flaco, skinny/thin but would be used in a friendly context. People use all kinds of diminutised adjectives to refer to each other - negrito/a, gordito/a, monita/o and loads more... - afowen Jul 8, 2011
  • Ah .... that makes much more sense. Thanks I knew it was used in a friendly way. - Daniel Jul 8, 2011
  • Goodness Afowen! and i thought México had the corner on diminutives! - pacofinkler Jul 8, 2011
  • Well, it can be used as a term of endearment, just depends on the couple or context... I was under the impression "viejo/a" was pejorative but a friend from México told me othewise :) - cristalino Jul 8, 2011