2 Vote

How do I order my "eggs over easy?"

  • I added " marks around the words you need translated. It helps make the question clearer. - 0057ed01 Feb 1, 2010 flag

8 Answers

2 Vote

I've used "Huevos volteado tiernos" (eggs turned over tender). It doesn't always work but at restaurants that know how to make them properly it should work. I haven't had much luck however. I think they fry them too hot, don't turn them soon enough and leave them on the heat too long. I did find one place in Ixtapa; Casa Morales.

2 Vote

In Puerto Rico, as others have suggested, if you want fried eggs you have to describe exactly how you want them. Otherwise you'll likely get over easy eggs with crispy edges. We usually say...

over easy: "huevos fritos vuelta y vuelta, con la yema blanda" (eggs "flipped over" and fried on both sides, with soft yolk)

over medium: "huevos fritos vuelta y vuelta, con la yema medio cocida" (eggs "flipped over" and fried on both sides, with partly-set yolk)

over well: "huevos fritos vuelta y vuelta, con la yema bien cocida" (eggs "flipped over" and fried on both sides, with fully-cooked yolk)

sunny side up: "huevos fritos sin voltear, yema blanda" (eggs fried "unflipped", runny yolk) OR to be more specific, "huevos fritos por un solo lado, yema bien blanda" (eggs fried on one side only, very runny yolk)

No matter how much you describe them, though, you are likely to find that the edges are between browned and crispy. We cook them at a higher temperature as most people here don't like eggs (scrambled or fried) as wet-shiny-soft as Gringos like them.

Buena suerte!

  • Wow. Muy complicado. I think I'd just say "huevos" and take what they gave me. :-) - babs_irish Jun 11, 2012 flag
1 Vote

In Mexico, eggs over easy would be "huevos suave fritos."

1 Vote

I have heard "huevos voteados" antes

0 Vote

Good question, and welcome to the Forum, terry.

You might like to try typing the phrase into Translation at the top. You'll get 3 slightly different translations, as I did.

The 3rd one looks best to me, but I suspect that there may be a more informal way to say it.

Then, post your guess here, and if there is a more informal way to say it, I'm sure a native speaker will come along to help out.

And, do come back often...

0 Vote

This seems to be somewhat regional. In Mexico, at least, if you order "huevos fritos," they will be fried in a pan of oil. "Huevos estrellados" will be made like "eggs over easy," but you can always mention the degree of cooking you want. If you order "estrellados" and they come out "fried," this is not a function of language but of cooks who don´t what they are doing.

If you want scrambled, order "huevos revueltos." And just like in English, you can, and should, mention the degree of cooking you want

  • It's not that the cooks don't know what they are doing, but that the Spanish cook their eggs differently than the English. - JoyceM Jun 11, 2012 flag
  • They like them cooked in hot fat with the edges crispy and the yolk runny. When in Rome... - JoyceM Jun 11, 2012 flag
  • My comments are about Mexico - not Spain. This is about the difference between the cooking in a tiny restaurant in the country and that in Sanborns in Mexico City - JulianChivi Jun 11, 2012 flag
0 Vote

I know them as " huevos estrellados" .As far as getting them cooked the way i like them , now that is a challenge in a mexican restuarant . Its almost like asking for a steak done rare , its not easy to get it made that way

0 Vote

Here is how you cook an egg the Spanish way.

As far as I know, there is only one way. Hot oil. Crispy around the edges. Yolk runny.

American's however, like choice. We all have our special way of cooking eggs, and we expect the cook to accommodate our desires.

You may experience cultural differences if the cook is Spanish.

Answer this Question