how is jehovah pronounced in spanish?? | SpanishDict Answers

can anyone help me here on how to pronounce Gods name in spanish. thanks

• Ratherm than "God's name", it would be better to ask "The name of the Hebrew/judaic god". - samdie Jan 29, 2010 flag

If you type the word Jehová into the Dictionary at the top of the screen, you can click on the "Speaker icon" to hear its pronunciation. Try the same with Jehovah.

You'll get 2 very different pronunciations. (Curiously, Jehovah sounds very English to me.)

Hope that helps...

In English, the two most common ways of rendering the name of the God of the Bible are Jehovah and Yahweh. These two have Spanish equivalents, namely: Jehová y Yahvéh

While there is much theological debate about exact pronunciation, etc., the fact remains that these two are commonly used in both languages.

And buckleydwyer, hopefully you have already found it, because the easiest way to hear the pronunciation is to look up Jehová in this site's dictionary and click on the speaker icon.

Pretty tricky question....considering that 'Jehovah' is really a term stemming from Hebrew

Strangely enough so are the names: Jesús, José, María, Joél, David, Ana, Felipe, etc. smile

• Jehovah also is used in Spanish. Maybe because of the widespread work of Jehovah's Witnesses? - 0057ed01 Jan 29, 2010 flag
  • While they did not come up with the name 'Jehovah' or 'Jehová', they are certainly known for their use of it. - chaparrito Jan 29, 2010 flag
  • Much more likely than the effect of "Jehova's Witnesses" is the simple fact of it's occurance in the old and new testaments. - samdie Jan 29, 2010 flag
  • I read the J.W.'s Watchtower (Atalaya) y Awake (Despertad) in Spanish and they use Jehová. - 0074b507 Feb 2, 2010 flag

My Español Moderna version of the Bible says Jehovah, while my Reina Valera version says Jehová

• Jehovah is the German rendition; the J has a Y sound and the V has a W sound. - SaigeSmith Apr 18, 2012 flag

It is Jehová

Jehová. (Del hebr. yahweh). 1. m. Nombre de Dios en la lengua hebrea.

• ah yes! you're right, the correct Hebrew pronunciation is /ja-WAI/ I'm asking my Jewish Friend in B.A. to see if she can provide an answer (at least from an Argentine stand point) - bdclark0423 Jan 28, 2010 flag
  • The dictionary here has both "Spanish" spellings. Why, I'm not sure. - 0057ed01 Jan 28, 2010 flag
  • Wasn't the question about how the word is pronounced? Would it be better to hear it? Which can be easily done by using the Dictionary. Jehová seems legitimate, though. - 0057ed01 Jan 28, 2010 flag

The god of the bible is jehova then why does everyone say Jesus or Lord.

• God = Jehova = The Father | Jesus = Messiah = The Son | Lord = Emmanuel = He who is with us - bdclark0423 Jan 29, 2010 flag
  • The answer would vary depending on whether you were a Trinitarian or not. - 0074b507 Feb 2, 2010 flag

Hola, buckleydwyer. ¿Como estás?

You asked, "Why does everyone say Jesus or Lord?"

Well, that sounds like a question you'd have to ask a theologian. It's surely beyond me.

Meanwhile, did you hear how Jehová is pronounced in Spanish by entering it into the Dictionary at the top of the screen?

I did, and must say it's one of the more difficult Spanish words to say.

I wish you much good luck trying to pronounce it.

jehovah is the name of the real God. called the tetragramaton. you dont need to be a bible scholar. the facts is this world is changing, and religon is not what it used to be. i think today there is an estimated 35,000 christian religons. funny eph 4;5 says one faith one religon.....hmmm anyway can anyone tell me where spanish orignates please????

• It is good to keep in mind that this forum is made up of people with many differing beliefs. However every member wants to learn Spanish better. That is the purpose of this site, not debating personal religious beliefs, even if one is sincere in doing so. - chaparrito Feb 2, 2010 flag
  • Do you still need to know how to pronounce the name Jehovah in Spanish? If you have another question please post it separately since it would be unrelated to this thread. :-) - chaparrito Feb 2, 2010 flag