I understand that in literal translation dulce sueños, translates sweet dreams, but is this an expression or phrase familiar to latin america, or is there another way to phrase or idiom for "have a good sleep"

it is correct just need to add a couple of words. que tengas dulces sueños... (when talking to only one person) usually is more romantic or caring but to a friend your can say: que duermas bien refering to have a nice sleep.

Que sueñes con los angelitos.

• yes that is a very common phrase usually used for children. angelitos= little angels - juluque Jan 26, 2010 flag
  • siiiii, mi abuela solía decirme eso!!! qué lindos recuerdos! - Benz Jan 26, 2010 flag

It would be dulces sueños, rather than ducle or dulce.

You could also say duerme bien (sleep well).

• Ducle was a misspelling. I have corrected it. - Eddy Jan 26, 2010 flag

I also like to tell my children "sleep with the angels each night."

That would be: "dormiste con los ángeles."

Correct my spanish if needed please.

• no, you should tell them " que sueñes con los angelitos " meaning to dream with angels. - juluque Jan 26, 2010 flag
  • oh yes. my aunt always said "sleep with the angels" but now that you put it that way... much better - yogamamaof2 Jan 26, 2010 flag

ok, the phrase " que tengas dulces sueños" is properly used when you say it to your children or to someone you have a deep affection for...as for Latin American countries if you're a straight man, never ever say this to another straight man because you'd sound sissy.

• Sure... just for children... - Benz Jan 26, 2010 flag

Tú form: Que duermas bien. - Usted: Que duerma bien. - Vos: Que duermás bien. - Vosotros: Que duermáis bien. -

To a child, Tú: Que sueñes con los angelitos; Usted - sueñe; Vos: soñés; Vosotros: soñéis;

The danger with questions like this is many people, both native speakers and those that consider themselves "fluent", will give you a literal translation - "dulces sueños" - forgetting not only that you normally put the adjective after the noun, but that literal translations often either don't exist, and/or can be anything from nonsensical to (worst case scenario) offensive, because they frequently do not take context into consideration. And context is everything. In this case, people in Latin America (and probably Spain) don't ever say "sweet dreams". Dreams are never mentioned in such a way. It's normally just "sleep well", or "sleep with the angels" if you're speaking to a child. A native speaker might answer such a question literally in a forum like this because he/she might not know anything about the phrase you're asking, and so will translate it for you without knowing the context behind your question. Likewise, many "translators" are not interpreters, i.e. they know Spanish well enough to translate but often don't know what might be the usual and customary norm for a particular expression, either because they've never really lived abroad for any extended period of time, and/or they've forgotten what used to be said in a similar situation and so go back to "thinking in English" even though they (claim to) "know Spanish". If you can find an interpreter, interpreters are the best translators, because they have to be fluent in both languages in either direction, as well as fluent in culture and context. At least the good ones are.

Oh my. You must have a look at this thread. I think you will enjoy it!