¿cual es la forma correcta? "¿Que es tu problema?" o "¿Cual es tu problema?"

Cuál.

http://spanish.about.com/cs/grammar/a/que_vs_cual.htm

Here is a nice link. Mis mejores deseos.

Very good and necessary discussion !

Considering that "qué" is supposed to solicit a definition whereas "cuál" asks the respondent to limit the answer to one of possible many one might say "qué" is the way to go.

¿Qué es eso? - What is that ? ¿Para que es eso? -What is that for ?

¿Qué es su nombre? - Mi nombre es la palabra que la gente usa cuando me llama.

¿Cuál es tu nombre? - Mi nombre is Alejandro.

But I have to admit this stuff does not make a lot of sense to me.The above definition directly clashes with

¿Qué día es hoy?

I mean are they telling me that I'm trying to ask the person what a day is ? Not really. Rather I'm trying to have the person limit their response to one of exactly 7 possible answers - should be classic "cuál" but it isn't. That same way I could argue that "What's your problem?" asks the person to limit their response to one of a huge number of possible problems that exist in the world. Same with:

¿Qué hora es? According to the definition I'm trying to ask the person what time it is and they might say "It's the right time" or something like that.

I just looked back at my pronoun book and they say

¿Cuál es tu razón por esto? - What is your reason for this ?

Judging by that the answer to your question would be Cuál. It seems that a lot of these rules keep clashing with these 2 words.

eRagi, your question basically is this. Does "What's your problem ?"

A: Try to solicit a definition/explanation of what this person's problem is ? In other words explain the problem itself.

Or

B : Try to have the person pick a problem out of a vast number of possible problems that exist in the world ?

I'd be interested in some answers myself.

• To mean "which" before a noun Qué is normal. Before Ser Cuál is more common (to mean "which"). "What" is a whole different ballgame. - 0074b507 Jan 25, 2010 flag