Is "pochita" some form of a nickname?

I don't know but I have feeling it might mean chubby.

Many years ago there was a character from a comic strip called "Pochita Morfoni". She was a big woman who could not resist eating a lot. Trough the years, the nick "Pochita" became an usual way to name chubby people, or just people who can't stop themselves when there is food around. This is true for Argentina, and I guess for another Spanish speaking countries.

Pocho = pochito. Pocha = pochita. This is a slang term - not the most ingratiating but not completely derogatory - given to Mexicans born in the US by Mexican nationals.

• I saw this guy on the news last night. I wondered what the nick meant. He was a 17 yr old being returned to the US after spending time for 4 murders in a Mx. jail. He was 14 when he beheaded 4 people...supposedly the Narcos made him do it. - 0095ca4c Dec 1, 2013 flag

Pochita means born in California with Mexican perants, not chubby, trust me i should no im La Pochita

I can tell you that the ending Ita means small (female). The first part draws a blank for me though. So whoever said pochita is saying small_______. Good luck on the other half. Sorry I couldn't help. Try the translator for a result.

• Yes could be a chubby little girl or lady. - kenwilliams Jan 8, 2010 flag

I dont think the translator will work. I dont know the actual translation but it falls some place in the same area as "chicana". Not the meaning but the way it is used. I here it used as a self refrence. does that make any sense?lol I tried. But I hear it used in my area alot. Young girls saying things like, "Im a one of a kind pochita"

"Pochito" was a name given to a cross between a burrito and a hot dog that was served by the Clark County School District (Las Vegas, Nevada) in the 1960s. It was an incredible culinary experience!