I watch a spanish soap opera to help with my comprehension, it really works. I often hear a term "callate" or cayate" not sure of the spelling. it seems to mean stop it, or shut up or get out of here confused usually in a very emotional context anybody know what it means

• Very impressive that you were able to deduct the meaning just by watching the context in which is was used. Alhtough I wouldn't ever say 'callate' is 'get out of here' a lot of times is what people really are wishing ;) - bdclark0423 Jan 6, 2010 flag
  • hahaha, look, I am from argentina, and "Callate" it's only like "Shut up" it does not means nothing like "get out of here" in any form! ;) - hatoichi Feb 11, 2011 flag
  • and "cayate" does not exist, it has an ortografic error, only that - hatoichi Feb 11, 2011 flag

The verb callar is to be quiet. What they are saying is "callate" or "callete" which are imperative commands to be quiet. It's the equivalent of "shut up" in English.

Es cállate no cayate, y es un poco grosero o informal decirlo, podrías decir también guarda silencio, es de más educación.

im a spanish native speaker...c u

¿Por qué no te callas? My favorite spanish quote. Juan Carlos of Spain towards Hugo Chavez. "why don't you shut up?"

FYI,

Cállate comes from the verb callarse. You can also use the adjective callado to say someone is quiet or being quiet.

Es muy callado -- He's a very quiet person

¿Por qué estás tan callada? -- Why are you so quiet?

You can also just say calla, which is a bit softer than cállate.

calla un momento or simply calla

Said in a normal or soft tone has the feeling of quiet, or at least that's my understanding. I would only use it with friends.

Per the translater callate means shut up and cayate there isn't a translation. Some el bruo or wizzard will appear with your answer youd be surprised

• el brujo=witch and wizard is spelt with 1 z - tccb Jan 6, 2010 flag

cállate means to shut up. Just thought you'd like to know that get out of here is "salir de aquí" or like Hondurans say it "salga de aqui".

I was watching this Argentinian TV series called Epitafios and the guy was kicking people out of his apartment, yelling "¡Váyanse!" which meant "get out, go"

HI Sandra, welcome to the forumsmile

Nice question and wonderfully postedwink getting my vote.

• true, well put for being new. welcome to the forum..and heck if you got Heidita's vote, you get mine. =) - DJ_Huero Jan 7, 2010 flag

shut up = ¡cállate!, ¡guarda silencio!, ¡silencio! get out of here= ¡lárgate!, ¡vete de aquí!, ¡sal de aquí!

If you tell it (¡cállate!) to your friends like a joke, it's ok.