3

I watch a spanish soap opera to help with my comprehension, it really works. I often hear a term "callate" or cayate" not sure of the spelling. it seems to mean stop it, or shut up or get out of here confused usually in a very emotional context anybody know what it means

• Very impressive that you were able to deduct the meaning just by watching the context in which is was used. Alhtough I wouldn't ever say 'callate' is 'get out of here' a lot of times is what people really are wishing ;) - bdclark0423 Jan 6, 2010
  • hahaha, look, I am from argentina, and "Callate" it's only like "Shut up" it does not means nothing like "get out of here" in any form! ;) - hatoichi Feb 11, 2011
  • and "cayate" does not exist, it has an ortografic error, only that - hatoichi Feb 11, 2011

3

The verb callar is to be quiet. What they are saying is "callate" or "callete" which are imperative commands to be quiet. It's the equivalent of "shut up" in English.

• Jan 6, 2010
1

Es cállate no cayate, y es un poco grosero o informal decirlo, podrías decir también guarda silencio, es de más educación.

im a spanish native speaker...c u

• Jan 6, 2010
1

¿Por qué no te callas? My favorite spanish quote. Juan Carlos of Spain towards Hugo Chavez. "why don't you shut up?"

• Jan 6, 2010
1

FYI,

Cállate comes from the verb callarse. You can also use the adjective callado to say someone is quiet or being quiet.

Es muy callado -- He's a very quiet person

¿Por qué estás tan callada? -- Why are you so quiet?

You can also just say calla, which is a bit softer than cállate.

calla un momento or simply calla

Said in a normal or soft tone has the feeling of quiet, or at least that's my understanding. I would only use it with friends.

• Aug 26, 2013
0

Per the translater callate means shut up and cayate there isn't a translation. Some el bruo or wizzard will appear with your answer youd be surprised

• Jan 6, 2010
  • el brujo=witch and wizard is spelt with 1 z - 0063492c Jan 6, 2010
0

cállate means to shut up. Just thought you'd like to know that get out of here is "salir de aquí" or like Hondurans say it "salga de aqui".

• Jan 7, 2010
0

I was watching this Argentinian TV series called Epitafios and the guy was kicking people out of his apartment, yelling "¡Váyanse!" which meant "get out, go"

• Jan 7, 2010
0

HI Sandra, welcome to the forumsmile

Nice question and wonderfully postedwink getting my vote.

• Jan 7, 2010
  • true, well put for being new. welcome to the forum..and heck if you got Heidita's vote, you get mine. =) - DJ_Huero Jan 7, 2010
0

shut up = ¡cállate!, ¡guarda silencio!, ¡silencio! get out of here= ¡lárgate!, ¡vete de aquí!, ¡sal de aquí!

If you tell it (¡cállate!) to your friends like a joke, it's ok.

• Aug 25, 2013