what does "llevar"' mean in english?

Llevar has a multitude of meanings. Here are a number of examples of llevar in use, along with possible translations. Each item in the list shows the expression using llevar, a common meaning and examples in Spanish with a translation to English:

llevar (algo) — to carry (something) — No puedo llevar nada más. I can't carry anything else.

llevar, llevar encima — to have on one's person — En ese momento me di cuenta de que no llevaba dinero encima. At that moment I realized that I didn't have any money on me.

llevar (algo) — to take or move (something) — Voy a llevar los platos al sótano. I'm going to take the dishes to the basement.

llevar (algo) — to tolerate, cope or deal with (something) — Lleva muy bien las derrotas. He puts up with defeat very well.

llevar (algo or a alguien) — to transport (something or someone) — Pedro nos llevó al aeropuerto. Pedro took us to the airport.

llevar (ropa o estilo) — to wear (clothing or style), to sport (a type of clothing or style) — No es necesario llevar el sombrero. It isn't necessary to wear your hat. Ha decidido llevar la barba. He has decided to sport a beard.

llevar (ingrediente) — to have or include (an ingredient) — A mi madre le gusta todo lo que lleva chocolate. My mother likes anything with chocolate in it.

llevar a (algo) — to lead to (something) — La mediación papal llevó a la paz entre Argentina y Chile. The pope's mediation led to peace between Argentina and Chile. Me llevó a creer que es inteligente. She led me to believe she is intelligent.

llevar (un vehículo) — to drive (a vehicle) — Llevó el coche a Madrid. She drove the car to Madrid.

llevar (una organización o una empresa) — to direct, run or lead (an organization or business) — Ingrid lleva la tienda de artesanía. Ingrid runs the artists' store.

llevar (un nombre) — to bear (a name) — Una calle de Candelaria lleva el nombre de José Rodríguez Ramírez. A Candelaria street bears the name of José Rodríguez Ramírez.

llevar cuenta — to keep account — ¿Quién lleva cuenta del resultado? Who's keeping track of the score?

llevar (tiempo) — to last (time) — Llevo meses diciendo que hay metodologias alternativas. I've been saying for months there are other ways. Llevo tres días sin dormir. I've gone three days without sleeping.

llevar (dinero) — to charge (money) — El revendedor me llevó mucho dinero por los boletos. The scalper charged me a lot of money for the tickets.

para llevar — "to go" (as in takeout food) — Quisiera dos hamburguesas para llevar. I'd like two hamburgers to go.

llevarse — to get along with — Nos llevamos bien. We get along well together. No se lleva bien con su madre. He doesn't get along well with his mother. Este año se lleva bien los pantalones cortos. Short pants are in style this year.

llevarse (algo) — to take (something) — Llévatelo. Take it with you. Quisiera llevarme la flor. I'd like to take the flower with me.

llevarse (algo) — to receive or win (something) — Se llevó el premio Nobel. She won the Nobel prize.

• You deserve an award for this answer. It is very thorough! Good job. - JoyceM Dec 6, 2010 flag
  • Thanks...;) - Seb79 Dec 6, 2010 flag
  • This is such a good list I think I'll save it for reference ! - Pibosan May 22, 2011 flag
  • Ditto on both comments above... you can answer all my questions ;) - jrschenk Jul 31, 2013 flag
  • Wow That's one of the best answers I've ever seen!!! Great Job Seb! I'm saving this as a bookmark! - 00acb0cc Sep 12, 2013 flag

to carry Definition of llevar in Spanishdict dictionary

You know, you can click on "Dictionary" at the top of the page on SpanishDict.com and you will find a thorough definition for this word and for countless others. :D

• yes but the dictionary and the translation say this word means different things, so i still dont know what it means. - turtle1919 Jan 5, 2010 flag
  • You can remember these definitions: "to carry, to take, to wear." The verb changes meaning based on the context. - Grace90 Jan 5, 2010 flag
  • also you can find the conjugation - Selena_Gomez Jan 5, 2010 flag

Wow, great answer by Seb79.

Here's at least one more usage, when it comes to food. Let's say you want to order a sandwich but you want to know what's on it.

¿Qué lleva?

What's on it?

Here's a blog post I wrote about llevar that should be helpful as well.

http://myspanishnotes.blogspot.com/2012/12/spanish-what-does-llevar-mean.html

• Thanks rodney. I can't figure out why I don't receive your notes. It's a feed right? - 0095ca4c Jul 31, 2013 flag

jmanxx

All the answers above are wrong it has mutliple meanings but in my spanish class it means

To Wear

but the proper meaning is to carry

You must be new to Spanish smile

The learning in the classroom is one thing, speaking Spanish in the real world is another.

What you learn in the classroom is only a fraction of how the language is used in real life. Not only do certain words have multiple meanings, the meanings vary from country to country and sometimes native Spanish speakers don't agree on their usage.

Think about how varied English is, Spanish is the same.

llevar means "to wash" grin

• Do you mean "lavar" instead of "llevar"? - Grace90 Jan 5, 2010 flag
  • I think she does - Selena_Gomez Jan 5, 2010 flag
  • Llevar does NOT mean "to wash". I wish we could vote incorrect answers "down". - Moe Jan 5, 2010 flag
  • You can. Flag them as inexact. - 0074b507 Dec 6, 2010 flag

first thing that popped into my head was "to carry" but as the first responder mentioned, if you type llevar in the traducir above you will see it carries (pun intended!) many meanings. it just depends on the context. I think it might be the third most used verb in spanish (after ser and estar). I've noticed it is used quite a bit.

llevar means to arrive.... i remember it cause they both have Vs lol, lame right?

• llegar is to arrive. :/ - 003487d6 Jan 5, 2010 flag
  • Llevar does NOT mean "to arrive". LleGar means "to arrive". I wish we could vote incorrect answers "down". - Moe Jan 5, 2010 flag

To Wear

but the proper meaning is to carry

But the proper meaning is to carry

What do you mean by its proper meaning?

Every language has at least one word which has a multitude of meanings, which makes the learn scream with frustration. English has "set" and Spanish has "llevar".

I didn't see anyone use the Ustedes conjugation of llevar, which is "llevan" on this conversational string so I thought I would add it. We had the following sentence using the Ustedes form of the verb on one of our Spanish II tests:

"Ellos se llevan muy mal."

I got stuck on this during the test. Our professor indicated that this means "They don't get along very well."