What does "la patria" mean in English? | SpanishDict Answers

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

link text

Homeland, native country.

You can find the answer next time by entering the word into the translator (this is the link I created). You can also doubleclick on the word after it is typed, and a translation will appear.

• Thanks for the tip, but I did plug it in the translator and I got two different answers. - erin29 Jan 5, 2010 flag

Thanks for the tip, but I did plug it in the translator and I got two different answers. - erin29

That's pretty common (even in English). If you have some context for the word, and aren't sure which translation best fits, that's where the forum members here are so helpful. Between the native speakers and the non-native fluent speakers, you'll get a quick and accurate response.

"la patria" (for the purposes of your question) is derived from the word "pater" in Latin meaning "father" and gives us such terms as "fatherland" (the equivalent in German) , "patriot", "patriotic", etc.The basic meaning is the "country of your birth".