I would like to know if:

She likes riding- a ella le gusta montar a caballo.

Or perhaps, "a ella le gusta montar a caballo" is "she likes riding a horse". I mean, I need to add "a horse" so that the sentence can make sense. Is that like this?

Good question, I always simply say: she likes riding, I think the horse is included in the lot, so to speak.

I know to ride also means to ride a bike, but if, without context, you say: she likes riding, it means "le gusta montar a caballo".

(for learners) In Spanish it IS necessary to add "a caballo".

Let's wait for confirmation.

This is me wink:

• What about "Le gusta cabalgar."? - samdie Dec 30, 2009 flag

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that you are asking whether the "a horse" is necessary in order for the sentence to make sense. Let me first point out that you would probably be better off omitting the indefinite article (a).

• She likes riding a horses.

In terms of whether the word "horses" is even necessary then it probably just depends on the context. For example

Person 1: I have a hundered acres and a stable full of horses. You should come by sometime and we could go out riding.

Person 2: I might just take you up on that offer. I'll have to bring my daughter. She loves to ride (horses).

Notice that the word "horses" is unnecessary here because it is clear from the context. If, however, you are introducing the idea without any prior context then you would be better off stating exactly what it is you like to ride.

• I like to ride horses

• I like to ride go-carts

• I like to ride my bicycle

• I like riding motorcycles

etc.

I think it would depend on who you were talking to.

Any country bred Englishman would automatically assume that the sentence "She likes riding" referred to a horse. However, a city bred person might well be confused, as horses are less common than bicycles in most of our city centres! smile

It depends who you're talking to and about. Riding often refers to snowboarding or biking as well.
I think easiest would be to say "she likes horseback riding"

I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but for many people in the U.S., the motorcycle has supplanted the horse in terms of popularity of "riding." I know many motorcycle enthusiasts who would immediately think that you were speaking of a motorcycle (or "bike") and not a horse if you were to speak about "going out riding."

There are also many bicycle clubs here whose members would likely think first of a bicycle if you were to talk about "riding." Even out in the country where you would find horse owners much more prevalent, if one were to say that they went out riding, one might first think that this meant on horseback, but I have often heard people who live on large acreage estates use this term to talk about "four-wheeling" (riding on four-wheel vehicles/atvs) as well.

I used to live near a spot on the beach where there used to be a stable that rented out horses to ride on the beach, but if someone were to tell me that they had gone out riding on the beach, without more context (even with the proximity of the aforementioned stables), I would still not be able to tell if they meant on horses or on dirtbikes, four-wheelers, etc because each of these would be just as common if not more common "vehicles" with which to go out riding on.

I would definitely add the a caballo. There are so so so so many things that she could like to ride. A motorcycle would be my first thought if I heard the phrase "She likes riding."

I would not specify a caballo in certain conversations, such as if you were speaking with people who knew what she was into, in this case horses.

I am thinking that, from my point of view, I can say:

I like riding- me gusta montar

I have never ridden a horse- nunca he montado a caballo

I like riding on horseback- me gusta montar a caballo

But I do not agree about what Heidita says: I like riding (me gusta montar en bici). It sounds strange to me.

It is true that in Spanish we also say: me gusta montar (it is only used for horses).

Me gusta montar = me gusta montar a caballo. You must say that in its context.

¿I like riding horses- me gusta montar a caballo? Izannoni said this and I must believe it, but in Spanish "I like riding on horseback sounds better". Take into account that we always use the singular form when we speak in general.