So the plural form of "Lo siento" is "Los sentimos muchos". This was originally a question but I have figured it out. Thank you.

So the plural form of "Lo siento" is "Los sentimos muchos".

Actually I am almost positive that is not true. Keep in mind that 'Lo siento' is an expression. It expresses something similar to when we use the English phrase "I'm sorry" however it is not a direct translation of those words. Literally 'Lo siento' is saying "I feel it" as in 'I feel your pain' or 'I feel the embarrassment of the situation', etc.

"Lo siento." is "I am sorry."

"Lo sentimos." is "We are sorry."

But when 'Lo' is changed to the plural in "Los siento/sentimos" you are now saying "I / We feel them" and are no longer using the expression, no longer saying 'sorry'.

It is fine to say "Lo siento que/por..." and express sorrow for more than one thing. You can also use the expression "Me da pena que..." This is also a way to say "I'm sorry that..."

• I got "Los sentimos muchos" from a show where three guys bow down and apologize in front of their boss, so I'm betting it does mean "we're sorry" - jeezzle Dec 23, 2009 flag

Jeeezzle, as far as I understood chaparri, he meant that you might have "heard"

los sentimos, as the losentimos, would sound as one word, and you might have thought, hey, it must be los sentimos.

As I said before, this can be said, but it means something completely different.

Los sentimos does not mean: We are sorry.

Lo sentimos means: we are sorry.

Los sentimos means: We feel them.

The plural of los is not related to the plural of sentimos, so you can say lo sentimos mucho if you are only sorry about one thing.

Wait, so if you are sorry are about many things...would you say "Los siento mucho" then? So "Lo siento mucho" = I'm very sorry about one thing. "Los siento mucho" = I'm very sorry about many things. "Lo sentimos muchos" = We are very sorry about one thing. "Los Sentimos muchos" = We are very sorry about many things?

i just looked up "lo" to try to answer this and got that it means "it". It does seem to be more impersonal to say "lo siento", eh? I guess we just have to chalk it up to translating literally vs. translating to maintain meaning.

That's a great question, I never thought about it.

Both "sentir" and "sentirse" mean "to feel", but apparently only "sentir" has the meanings "to grieve, to regret, to mourn" (this is based on the dictionary here). I think if you say "me siento" you have to keep going to say how you feel -- the examples in the dictionary are "me siento bien/mal/superior/en mi casa".

I'm guessing "nos sentimos" is a variant usage, not the usual idiom.

Sentir can be used by itself to mean to be sorry.

Jeezzle commented:

I got "Los sentimos muchos" from a show where three guys bow down and apologize in front of their boss, so I'm betting it does mean "we're sorry"

Well Jeezzle, I took up this challenge. wink I figured I didn't have all my facts straight and so I asked four of my Hispanic friends about what the saying "Los sentimos muchos" could mean, (2 Mexicans, 1 Ecuadorian and 1 Spaniard-schooled in Venezuela) and none of them were sure. I wanted to know what those three guys could have meant. The best the Ecuadorian could come up with is that perhaps it was a play on words understood by the context of the scene, but she couldn't think of an example. They all said it is likely that the "Lo" and "sentimos" could run together and sound like "Los sentimos." However all four of them agreed that "Los sentimos muchos" would not be a way to say "We are very sorry."

Maybe there is something I'm missing. What was the movie? Were there Spanish subtitles on the screen in addition to the Spanish audio? I also wish that some of our native speaker friends can jump in, because you know what you heard and I too would like to understand this and make sure I have it straight. smile

Los sentimos would mean: We feel them.

¿Sentís los latigazos? Sí, los sentimos.

I think this is a good example, no doubt you would feel them! wink

• Pero, ¿y para decir: "We are very sorry"? ¿Se puede decir "Los sentimos muchos?" - chaparrito Dec 29, 2009 flag

It was from a TV show and I have seen quite a lot of them since that day. However let me get this straight....you said two posts above that

"Lo sentimos." is "We are sorry."

Then you said in your post immediatly above mine that

They all said it is likely that the "Lo" and "sentimos" could run together and sound like "Los sentimos." However all four of them agreed that it would not be a way to say "We are very sorry."

Are you saying the "Lo sentimos" is not a way to say "We are sorry" or that it is? I'm sure they could have said "Lo sentimos" to mean "I'm sorry" and had it run together...I can't tell if you are suggesting this as an acceptable method of "I'm sorry" or not based on your post.

I wrote:

However all four of them agreed that it would not be a way to say "We are very sorry."

Hmmmm... sorry. cheese I see that my wording was a bit vague in that sentence. The 'it' was referring to "Los sentimos". What I meant was that they told me "Lo sentimos..." (correct) could sound like "Los sentimos..." (incorrect). Maybe I should have written: However all four of them agreed that "Los sentimos muchos" would not be a way to say "We are very sorry."

smile