The context is :

In this dialogue José is calling Carla to ask her for a date to go to the movies.

I only clipped the sentences that pertained to my question so the context is poor, but I was wondering if someone could tell me the meaning of "venga" in the following lines of dialogue.

Clara: Muy bien pues nos vemos en el cine… venga hasta luego.

José: Venga hasta ahora.

José: Muy bien, venga gracias, adiós

Gracias de antemano.

es un add-on que usan los españoles para hablar y vendría a significar OK o como dijieron arriba "take care".

Sintácticamente está mal pero es como la palabra Dale en Argentina

No te recomiendo usarlo nunca excepto que estés citando textualmente una conversación.

Yes, web, we use venga in this sense either to end a conversation and start another one, to end the conversation and say ...cmon, I must leave...., it is very colloquial.

I on my part would not say take care is a good choice, as normally this "venga" is said with a slight undertone of impatience I would say.

"Venga" means "take care" in this context.

Good one gfreed. I never would have known if not for your question that this was a commonly used [removed]not so common around here apparently).

Apparently it can mean a whole host of things like "vale" or "vaya" too. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080218012542AAZ5dnF

I wonder if it is used mainly in Spain or if one might hear it used in that context in Mexico as wel....

Clara: Muy bien pues nos vemos en el cine… venga, hasta luego.

José: Venga, hasta ahora.

José: Muy bien, venga, gracias, adiós

"Venga" in the first sentence is "take care".

José: Venga a esta hora. (If the sentence is not well written) "Venga" is the imperative of "venir". Or perhaps it could be the same as: "take care". This is in case it is well written.

In the third sentence "venga" is similar to "take care" too.

Hi NIla, not really, there is a lack of punctuation though.

Venga...hasta ahora.

This is like:

Bueno, lo dicho, hala, anda....hasta ahora

Yes, there is a lack of punctuation. But the meaning is this: take care. Here "anda" is the same as: "take care". Don't you think?. Well, I do not want them to go mad but "anda" is similar to "venga".

The problem is that OK has so many meanings that at the end almost nobody knows what that means. I would use OK/agree ("vale" or "de acuerdo") if we have been talking about something in particular and we agree. But, "take care" is when you only want to say "cuídate" o "venga".

By the way, "anda" is not interchangeable with "venga". The best thing is to use "venga" when you want to say "take care". "Anda" depends on the context.

Yes, Heidita. You can say "venga" as you would say "take care" but with impacience.

Imagine that an English speaker is talking to another person and the former is wishing to say goodbye. Then he says: take care. Until now.

And after that, they leave.

Think that "venga" has to have a meaning. And the meaning is that. You use it with impacience because you want to say good bye.

And at the first of a conversation, I would use it with other meaning. For example: Venga, démonos prisa. Venga = vamos. Come on, let's hurry up.

Yes, Daniel.

Venga = Ok, I agree, come on, take care and other new meaning. Also, we have this new meaning:

a speaker: Hemos visto la película 50 veces

b speaker: "¡Venga!"

Here "venga" is like: what are you saying? Is that true? or "that is impossible"

• In this context it is like "Come on" in English? - 0074b507 Nov 29, 2009 flag
  • Which of the contexts? Come on = vamos (o venga). It is not used at the end of a conversation but at the first. - nila45 Nov 29, 2009 flag
  • Look for my examples. But if you are referring to "venga" (that is impossible), that cannot mean "come on" as you can imagine. - nila45 Nov 29, 2009 flag

We use "venga" (come on) in other contexts. For example, I am saying good bye. (I wouldn`t say "come on. Good bye" but "take care. Good bye").

My sister in law always says good bye this way: venga... hasta luego.

And we are not in a hurry. She says this in a affectionate way. She is not in a hurry. I repeat. Then the meaning is: take care.

That does not mean that if she is in hurry, she says "venga" (take care) to interrupt the conversation.

It depends on the sentence which goes after it,- . Venga, corramos. (come on, let`s run). Venga, hasta pronto (take care, see you soon). The intonation is affectionated.

He visto esa película 50 veces. ¡Venga! (that is impossible). The intonation is with skepticism.

¿Qué te parece ir al cine? .
¡Venga!. (OK or I agree). The intonation is like: that is a good idea.

And the intonation changes a lot. The intonation always plays an important role in these cases.

Tienen razón, ese termino es usado por los españoles... en Honduras seria algo como "cheque vo" wink

I would rather translate "venga" in english as "ok" or "agree"

Hi Nila,

I actually don't understand the Spanish good enough to know if "take care" is a good choice or not. But, I can say that "take care" is a farewell greeting. We use it like we use "goodbye."

En realidad, no entiendo el diálogo en español suficientemente para conocer si "take care" es una buena elección o no. Pero, puedo decir que "take care" es un saludo de despedida. Lo usamos como usamos "goodbye."

Venga: I use it on occasion to mean "Ok then" but it also can mean "Take care", C'mon" ....

Here are some discussions from WR:

Yes, as Venus and Mj are telling you, it is a "come on"

But in Spain, it is also used as a "Ok then"

¿Vamos al cine? ¡Venga!

Shall we go to the movies? Ok!

It is used in the same way as "Vale" here.

I have heard it often like this at the very end of a conversation: Vale, venga, vamos!

I smile every time I hear it.

Ok, come on so, let's go!

I have the same difficulty in interpreting anda!

I use venga for many meanings:

1) Venga!... as "Come on": Venga, vamos al cine!

2) Venga... as OK.

a speaker: "Vamos al cine?"

b speaker: "¡Venga!"

3) Venga... as a sign that you do not believe the speaker... normally would be "venga ya!" but it can be only venga!...

a speaker:Hemos cisto la película 50 veces

b speaker: "¡Venga!"

4) The expression you say for Goodbye is no really meaning goodbye but meaning "Vale" that would be a kind of "Ok" or... kind of "that is all!"

I use venga for many meanings:

"Venga" is a truly lovely expression, once you get the hang of it.

• I learned my Spanish in Spain and have a habit of saying, "Venga, hasta luego!" at the end of all phone calls or casual meetings in the street. I worked for a time with a site office located in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, where I would speak on a daily basis with the individuals running the office. I always got a kick out of the fact that when the Office Manager said goodbye on a phone call, she would say, "Vaya, hasta luego," and I would say, "Venga, hasta luego"...she would tell me to go away and I would tell her to stay a while!

I guess it would be similar in usage to "Andale pues," for those more acquainted with Mexican culture, although I'm less familiar with the specifics of that location.

You can find more info at WR.