"I walk in the street" or "I walk along the street" | SpanishDict Answers

I know that I can say: I walk along the avenue (paseo a lo largo de la avenida).

But I am not sure if I can say:

a. I walk in the street (paseo por la calle)

b. I walk along the street (paseo a lo largo de la calle).

Are both of them correct?.

smile

If you say "I walk in the street" you are saying that you are actually walking in the street (where the cars are driving) and you are not on the sidewalk.

"I walk along the street" and "I walk on the street" are correct.

• Why couldn't I make it simple like that? :) - Seitheach Nov 17, 2009 flag

alt textNila:

For me, I have said all of these:

I walk along the street.

I walk up the street.

I walk down the street.

and they all mean that I am walking in the pedestrian portion of a street.

However, if I said I was walking in the street it would mean, to me, that I was walking on the vehicle travelled part of the street and perhaps also on the pedestrian walkway. Walking in the street is much less confining, but a lot more dangerous. It may be safe if you were a trumpet or drum player in a band during a parade but otherwise it may be bad for your health.

Recuerdos/Regards,

Moe

You may also say:

I walk on the street.

Used most often in this situation: "I was [walking] on State street when..."

Because we assume that you are not walking in the middle of the street, you must specifically state that you are walking in the middle of the street for a person to think that you are where cars usually drive. The in is what makes that specific thought while an "on" is much more general.

I am sure you noticed the brackets above. This is because you don't have to be walking on a street. In fact up, down, or along a street is most commonly used with "walk" but you can be even more general by saying you were on the street without specifying the method of your transit. You could be in a bus, on a train, in a car, or walking when you are on a street and people will not assume that you were in the way of traffic unless you further clarify your position.

I see an inconvenient with your statement. You cannot walk in a bus but you can go in a bus. You cannot use "walk" with "bus in this case.

I think what Lasairfiona was trying to say is that a person can be 'on' a street in any number of circumstances, i.e. walking (on the street), in a bus (on the street), etc. However it would be correct to say "I was walking in the bus." for example if I was moving from a back seat to a front seat. Walking would be the way to get there. But I digress. grin

Regarding your question about 'avenue', yes, as you have found it is fine to say 'walking along/on the avenue'. Street and Avenue are synonyms and can be used interchangeably in most situations.

You've got some nice questions! Keep them coming! smile

Both sound good. Using them in the proper context though would be the trick.

• humm... both of them. - nila45 Nov 17, 2009 flag

If you say I walk in the street I think you are actually walking in the middle of the road.

If you say I walk along the street I think you may be on the side of the road or on the sidewalk.

"Caminar" is more an equivalent to walk than "pasear".

"Pasear por la calle" is more like walking in a recreational way. The verb "pasear" can also be used with different transportation meanings. By example you can say "pasear en auto", pasear en bote, etc, meaning that you are doing it for recreation.

Yes, Ok, but if you are walking on the sidewalk, you have to say:

a. I walk along the street

b. I walk on the street

Is that?

• Yes, we assume that you are on the sidewalk. - --Mariana-- Nov 17, 2009 flag

I walk along the street.- paseo a lo largo de la calle

I walk up the street- paseo calle arriba

I walk down the street- paseo calle abajo

I walk in the street- paseo por la calle (it is very likely me to be walking on the road).

After that, I would like to know:

¿I walk on the street = I walk along the street?

To explain that the street is only a location (a place to be). If you want to emphasize that, which of them should you use?.

I have just seen Marianne's comment. along=on.

But, "along, up, down" ... all of them explain a direction. Then I assume that "I walk on the street" would be the most proper sentence to express a location. Don't you think?.

Lasairfiona, I see an inconvenient with your statement. You cannot walk in a bus but you can go in a bus. You cannot use "walk" with "bus in this case.

That apart, I would like to add something. As it is possible to say: “I walk on the street”, there is a scamp in my mind who is wondering if “I walk on the avenue” can be possible too.

What do you thing about putting “on” with “avenue”?

Yes, I have just found the other answer. You can say: I was walking along/on the avenue.

Google says that there is a song by Bruce Springsteen called "walking on the avenue".