Ahorita vs ahora mismo. | SpanishDict Answers

¿Hay una diferencia entre ahorita y ahora mismo? Profesores diferentes usan los dos, pero no sé si hay una manera diferente para usarlos.

Is there a difference between ahorita and ahora mismo? They both seem to mean "right now". I have had teachers that use both of them, but I do not know if there is a difference instance to use them.

It seems to me that ahora mismo is a more eloquent or educated term than ahorita. Almost like you wold hear ahorita with your friends, but they would teach ahora mismo in school.

It depends what country you are from;

For some people ahorita means right now. The same as ahora mismo.

For others ahorita means in a little while.

In Yucatán ahorita means "in a minute". For example when someone asks you to do something and you're busy so you answer "In a minute."

• "ita" is the diminutive form of a word ... in a little while ... ahora mismo means right now! - readytodicta May 1, 2013 flag

Like others have said, it really does depend on what country you're in.

Check out this blog post and watch the video about a conversation between a Mexican girl and her Puerto-rican boyfriend where they both a have very different understanding of what ahorita means.

You'll also learn about another very Mexican way to say right now, luego luego.

Ahorita Vengo

• Great learning link, Rodney. - katydew May 2, 2013 flag

In Bolivia ahorita means N O W but only because ahora means some indeterminate time in the future to be decided by the speaker.

In my experience both can mean "when I feel like it". but one is less in the future than the other. ha ha

• rofl jaja :) - Kiwi-Girl May 1, 2013 flag
  • Can i get back to you on that mate ,"ahora mismo". - ray76 May 2, 2013 flag

When I was talking to people from Puerto Rico, I was told it means "in a little while."

When I was in Mexico "ahorita" was used to mean "right now."

• My girlfriend is from Puerto Rico and says "ahorita" for "in a little while". - nihil78 Jun 23, 2010 flag

It sounds like one common explanation might be that ahorita means "right away", meaning now or in a few seconds, although of course there's "enseguida" for that too.

In Ecuador it meant 'right now'. But as Ian said that didn't really always mean 'right now' lol.