1

1. List item
  • What does "list item" mean? Sorry, I am new here... - Shelley_Lynn Jan 7, 2017
  • This is an O L D thread 2009. - Daniela2041 Jan 7, 2017

4

If you are talking to a friend, you should say, "Ten un buen fin de semana."

If you are talking to an adult, you should say, "Tenga un buen fin de semana."

Personally, for me, if I am talking to one of my teachers and want to impress them, I use the subjunctive because all of my teachers were taught that a person truly has a deep understanding and ability to speak Spanish if they can use the subjunctive. So, I would say, "Espero que usted tenga un buen fin de semana." or "Espero que tenga un buen fin de semana." (which means "I hope that you have a good weekend." - the only difference between these two frases is that one speciifically states who you are talking to (usted) and the other is open (so it could also mean "I hope I have a good weekend" - tenga is the subjunctive form for both the forms of "yo" and the form of "él/ella/usted")).

I hope this helps. ¡Buena Suerte! (Good Luck!) =)

• Nov 12, 2009
  • Puedes decir,también: "Espero que tengas un buen fin de semana" ( to a friend) - FELIZ77 May 28, 2010
2

Hi and welcome to the forum. grin

Have a good weekend = que tengas un buen fin de semana

• Nov 12, 2009
  • Or: que tengas un "buen finde" as I discovered by using SpanishDict! - 00515f39 Nov 12, 2009
  • yes! - --Mariana-- Nov 12, 2009
  • So you can say Tengas un buen finde? without the semana? Seriously? - jeezzle Nov 12, 2009
  • I think "finde" is very regional... - mountaingirl Nov 12, 2009
  • Mountain girl I think you are right I have never ever heard 'finde' used and could not find it in my massive Spanish Oxford dictionary even under the Spanish section lol hahaha - FELIZ77 May 28, 2010
1

Why "que" at the beginning of this sentence? Is this literally, "What have a good weekend"? Is it necessary to say "que"?

• Jan 7, 2017
  • It's an expression that roughly translates to "May you have a good weekend". Sort of like "Que Dios le bendiga" (May God bless you) - Fu9858 Apr 5, 2017
1

That "que" is a leftover from the complete expression: "Espero que tenga(s)un buen fin de semana.

I personally feel that the use of "tener" (have) is a carry over from English.

I prefer to use "Pasa un buen fin de semana." or "Que pases un buen fin de semana"

I know that is is an OLD, OLD thread, but, to me the answers seemed inadequate. And there is a newbie who just came on, so I'm helping him.

• Jan 7, 2017
1

I have said to the Spanish speakers in our building simply "Buen fin de semana " and that has worked very well. No strange looks at all.

• Jan 7, 2017
0

tener to bueno el fin de semanda

• Nov 12, 2009
0

que tengas buen fin de semana to a friend or for more formal say que tenga buen fin de semana, you do not need the "un" in there but it can be used.

• May 28, 2010
  • I beg to differ. The "un" is necessary when the D/O is modified by an adjective. - Daniela2041 Jan 7, 2017