When do you use "el que" in a sentence? What does it mean? | SpanishDict Answers

Que significa "el que" por ejemplo, "Modernismo es el término con el que se designa a una corriente de renovación..."

"Modernismo es el término con el que se designa a una corriente de renovación..." --- In this case "con el que" can be translated as "with which"

¿El qué? by itself means "What?" (The what?) --- This is asked when you are not sure of what you've heard somebody telling. I believe it is more of a colloquial expression as ¿Qué??? alone serves the same function.

"el que" has a number of applications: as seen above it can mean what or that, which, who, whom.

It has the same meaning when a noun separates them: " Este es el dinero que me distes" --- This is the money that you gave me.

El es el que repara televisores. --- He is the one who fixes televisions.

For a more detailed explanation read this article.

link text

Robertico:

Great article, well written and easy to understand with lots of good examples. Also has a really good test (I didn't do so well) and then gives the answers.

Thanks so much.

• Yeah, we also got one good one here on the site but is not as extensive. - 0068e2f4 Nov 12, 2009 flag