0

We have been buying a type of fish from the mercadona called 'fletan' and it's really nice. I think it could be halibut but my husband thinks it's something else. I have looked in the dictionary and it' not in there. Help it' driving us mad.

0

Fletán = Halibut

• Jan 31, 2008
0

fletan is halibut. just type the name in google. one example is "fletán negro" is greenland halibut.

• Jan 31, 2008
0

The dictionary, and presumably correct, definition of fletan is halibut, but depending on the country you are in it could be flounder, halibut, or any other related flatfish. The fact is, common names of fish vary from country to country. This is true in English and Spanish. For example, what Australians call "cod" is what we call "grouper" in the USA. What we call "cod" is nothing like a grouper.

• Apr 26, 2008
0

Gerry
Did you realise that this post is over three months old.

• Apr 26, 2008
0

So are all my dictionaries, but I haven't thrown them away. Information can always be useful to others that come along.

• May 19, 2008
0

Point taken Gerry, however, there have been instances where people have thought the post is current. I was just pointing out the age, thats all.

• May 19, 2008