What does the word "Don" mean to a Spanish or English speaker? | SpanishDict Answers

If someone were called Don Gabriel for example, what image does that portray? Would he be a Spaniard? Is this term used today?

¡Hola!, MortimerFrancis:

My big fat dictionary has this to say:

Don/Doña - A courtesy title placed before the 1st name of an older or more senior man/woman as a way of showing them your respect when talking to them or about them.
Although now becoming rarer, they are commonly used before full names on official documents and contracts.

Un cordial saludo,

Señor Don Moe
(I'm thinking of changing my screen name,)

• Thanks Moe - much appreciated. - 00515f39 Nov 2, 2009 flag

ANyone could use Don. A mexican, guatemalan or anyone from any other country could use it and its a term of respect like Usted.

• Yes, but who would use it? Would a mesero call himself Don Pedro, or is it just used by professional people or old people? - 00515f39 Nov 2, 2009 flag
  • Where I'm from it would go in front of a persons name as a term of respect, used only if your in the Mafia and normally if your the head of a family. If you want the offical mean just check the Wikipedia entry for the word Don, there loads of info. - analpolice Nov 2, 2009 flag