2

This is the same as Buen Día or Buenos Dias. Is there any difference in using the singular or plural?

8

Pozi, jeje (short for "pues sí")wink

We also say: Buen día a todo el mundo.

this is rather old fashioned over here, we normally say "buenos días". People still use this form in villages sometimes.

Buena noche on the other hand cannot be used as a greeting.

Que pases buena noche. Have a good night's sleep.

As a greeting: Buenas noches.

• Oct 21, 2009

4

Buenas noches is a fixed and correct phrase. There is no other way to simply say "goodnight".

2

One thing to be aware of is that in many areas the regional accent tends to leave the S's off the ends of words. In Caracas, más o menos becomes ma' o meno'. By the same token, buenas noches often sounds like buena noche.

1

It IS a provacative question. On a trip to Panamá, whle staying in a resort community, the staff sometimes greeted us with "Buen Día". However, I never heard "Buena noche" in the evening and I also wondered about that at the time.

Do any Central American members or South American members have any comment on this??

• Oct 21, 2009
1

I agree with Moe. I've heard Buen Día in Mexico.

• Oct 21, 2009
1

Well I do hear "Que tenga un buen día" quite a lot but I guess that is not the same.

• Oct 21, 2009
0

I am at work in my spanish office and the watchman just came in to check. He is a native Castillian speaker (I am in Barcelona) and he clearly said:

"Buena Noche"

It may be odd, but it is not unacceptable.

0

My boyfriend is Mexican and says buena noche to me every night.

• Dec 10, 2010
0

We also say: Buen día a todo el mundo.

Perhaps it is regional thing in line with "bom dia" in Portuguese. As far as I know, only Castilian uses the plural.

0

"Buena noche" es correcto dentro de la frase: "Hace una buena noche"(=It´s a nice night) ,pero yo nunca lo he oído para desear buenas noches.

Quizá como dice Kevinb en algún país latinoamericano o en el sur de España,los "comeletras" digan "buena noche."