Cuando se usa tildes con palabras "Esta, esto, este..." | SpanishDict Answers

Yo no puedo ver un modelo en como debo usar las tildes con "Ésta o esta".

Ya te doy las gracias!!

When you omit the accent esta is used as an adjective. With the accent, ésta is used as a pronoun to mean "this (one)."

Demonstrative adjectives include: este/esta, estos/estas, ese/esa, esos/esas, aquel/aquella, and aquellos/aquellas

Demonstrative Pronouns include: éste/ésta, éstos/éstas, ése/ésa, ésos/ésas, aquél/aquélla, and aquéllos/aquéllas

Neuter form: There is also a neuter form of the Demonstrative Pronoun. This is used when you want to refer to an indeterminate idea rather than to a specific object. These include: esto, eso and aquello.

Modelos:

¿Cuál de las dos quiere usted? - Which of the two do you like?

Me gusta esta pluma - I like this pen

¿Cuál, ésta? - Which, this (one)?

(pointing) ésa - Yes, that (one)

No me gusta eso - I don't like that. [the disliked thing is unspecified]

Eso es lo que pienso - That is what I think

Esto es loco - This is crazy

• ¿Cuál...? demonstrative adjectives .vs. demonstrative pronouns - 0074b507 Oct 18, 2009 flag
  • Sorry qfreed...I wasn't done editing yet. - Izanoni1 Oct 18, 2009 flag
  • ésa (pointing to LA pluma) - 0074b507 Oct 18, 2009 flag
  • Don't you hate it when someone corrects you before you have a chance to proofread? :-) - 0074b507 Oct 18, 2009 flag

Be aware that the tildes on the demonstrative pronouns are optional (except when it would create ambiguity). So:

Me gusta esta is also correct (and commonly seen).

Also, keep in mind that the neuter form takes no tilde. Esto needs no (diacritical) tilde since there is no esto demonstrative adjective. ( Ésto or ésto is incorrect)

Qfreed brings up a good point.

According to the Spanish Academy the accent over the first e is not necessary except in cases of ambiguity. In practice, however, pronouns will usually carry the written accent.

Also you should be aware that when a demonstrative pronoun comes before a relative clause the accent is omitted.

For example:

ese que, este que, aquel que, etc

oh jeez, that was a way more complicated question than I thought it was...

Thanks though, I think I've got it. grin

Use this link if you need help. It's free and everyone should use it. I believe the chapter is after chapter 7A that explains how to use eso,esa,esos,esas,esto,esta,estos,estas. I hope it helps. You have to click in Repaso Del Capitulo under the chapter and do the activities. They are a great study tool that I use myself.

http://phschool.com/webcodes10/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.gotoWebCode&wcprefix=jck&wcsuffix=0001