¿Qué es o qué significa dna? | SpanishDict Answers

¿Quiero saber qué significa dna o qué es dna?

• Hi Scarlyn- This is a language learning site. As such, it is mandatory that all posts be written with proper grammar and spelling, including capitalization and punctuation. Please observe our forum rules in this regard. - Goyo Oct 6, 2009 flag
  • Also please note that I moved your question to the proper category. - Goyo Oct 6, 2009 flag

En español, DNA se llama ADN o el ácido desoxirribonucleico, y bajo es un artículo de WikiPedia que Usted puede leer.

Clica aquí para leer el artículo sobre ADN

Yo no leo el artículo en español porque mi habilidad en español no es ya suficiente.

• Scarlyn & Webdunce. If you open the link in this reply and look down the left side of the page you will find "en otros idiomas". Under this, click on "English" and the English version will open. - Moe Oct 6, 2009 flag

I apologize for my earlier post. In my own experience, every international journal article that I have read on the subject has invariably remained consistent in keeping with the acronyms (whether they made sense to do so or not) such as DNA, RNA, PCR, NADH etc.

That being said, I just did a search of journal articles using my college's database and found numerous hits for ADN. Again I apologize. Apparently, both ADN and DNA enjoy wide usage.

• ADN is the proper way to spell it in Spanish, and it is the current way to say it in any spanish speaking country. That being said, DNA is more 'international'. - zenejero Oct 6, 2009 flag
  • I could definitely understand Spanish articles referring to it as DNA. - webdunce Oct 6, 2009 flag

Hi lzanoni1,

I think you are thinking of taxonomic nomenclature, which is a naming system for species that uses Latin so as to overcome ambiguities due to differences in languages. (added later: no, I guess not, I guess you actually saw that way a lot in Spanish articles, lol)

However, in this case acid is the noun and deoxiwhatchamacallit is the adjective. Here is the MSN Encarta article also in Spanish. And here is the French article at Encarta where you can see it is also abbreviated as ADN (for acide désoxyribonucléique).

• Oy, sorry, lzanoni1, I was writing my response and didn´t see your reply at the time. My apologies. - webdunce Oct 6, 2009 flag

Oy, sorry, lzanoni1, I was writing my response and didn´t see your reply at the time. My apologies.

Not at all..it was my mistake to begin with so I should be the one apologizing. Besides, my ego probably needed deflating anyway.

My undergraduate studies were in molecular biology and I thought that I was fairly familiar with the way in which these terms were normally expressed within the scientific community at large. The journal articles that I read in Spanish (and French for that matter) would keep the English acronym but spell it out so that the acronym did not make sense. I asked one of my professors about this once and they gave me an answer to the effect that it depended on where it was discovered or who originally named it. So I just thought that it would be consistent in every context. Apparently, this was not the case.

It is interesting that universidad nacional de Colombia uses the standard English nomenclature to teach these topics