What is the best spanish to learn ,Spain (Spanish) or Latin America (spanish) ? | SpanishDict Answers

What latin american countries have the best spanish spoken .?

Opino yo, que es lo mejor aprender Español de España. Desde ahí puedes aprender las nuances de las varias ramas de la lengua. i.e ameríca latina.

• me odio espanol de Espana. Porque necethethitamos hablar como ethte? - morphine Sep 30, 2009 flag
  • Por eso vivamos, el reto! - Don_José Sep 30, 2009 flag
  • Es nethesitamos, morphine. Hablamos con la theta, no hay una letra ehte. - tokki Oct 12, 2009 flag

I guess it would depend where you live and why you want to learn the language. If you live closer to Mexico, Central and South America, I would focus on Spanish as it is spoken in these countries. If you are in Europe, I would focus on the language as it is spoken in Spain. For example, if you live in Europe, you will need to work on incorporating the vosotros/vosotras conjugation of verbs into your vocabulary.

Just as in English, no matter where you go, you will have to learn the colloquial expressions and pronunciations that are common in each area.

I read somewhere that Bolivia is considered to have some of the best spoken Spanish - but it varies around the country.

From what I understand, the country with the Spanish closest to what is taught in most America high schools is Colombia. They use things just like many books teach. They speak clearly for what we are used to and tend to write properly and be well educated in the cities. If you learn Spain Spanish, you can travel anywhere that speaks and Spanish and get by. I would rather learn vosotros and such and not use it rather than not learn it and need it.

• tomemos un pequeñito cafecito, o sea tintico, en un ratico - 003487d6 Oct 1, 2009 flag

I am from Spain, I´m teaching in the US. I tell you that the level in High School is really low right now, so I DON´T THINK anyone could speak any Spanish just taking Spanish in High School. If you can speak Spanish from Spain or Spanish from Latin America, if your level is good, everybody will understand you...as you can understand the people from the UK. smile By the way, don´t forget that Spanish is called Spanish because of Spain!!

• I agree - as long as you speak to a good enough level, people are very likely to understand you. - amy_moreno Nov 25, 2010 flag

I've heard Guatemala has some of the best spoken Spanish.

"Best" is subjective in this context but I think it means "clearest" - "free from too many modismos - and jerga" - "closest to the origin Spanish" "nicest to listen to" - I can't remember where I read it so can't give a reference.

• That's Columbian Spanish. They sound like they're singing when they talk. It's really fluid. - yvonneibe7 Oct 28, 2009 flag

What do you mean by "best"? The prettiest, the easiest rules to learn, the hardest so that learning the others afterwards will be easy?

well i speak castilian Spanish, and that is the most commonly spoken supposedly, but i guess it depends where you live, but learning a language and actually being in an area and speaking the street spanish are completely different, as i found out when i stayed with a family in Gran-Canaria

As some others have said, I think it depends and where and how you will be using Spanish. If you're in Europe, maybe Spain-Spanish would be best. If you're in the US, I'd say Latin American.

The differences can sometimes be difficult, apparently even for natives, so I don't agree that you can just learn Spain-Spanish and then it will be a cakewalk to learn only a few nuances that are different. The last time I traveled to Peru, I was looking through the in-flight magazine (in Latin-American Spanish), and there was a rather lengthy, in-detail article geared towards helping native Latin-American folks who want to travel to Spain. It was very interesting to see how really different the two can be.

I also have a friend who learned Spain-Spanish quite well in high school, and the differences are enough of an obstacle that she pretty much cannot speak to me and others. Unfortunately she doesn't have the time to study now.

I've spoken (and written to) folks from Colombia, Peru, Argentina, and Chile. In my opinion, the folks from Colombia and Peru are often the clearest to understand, and conversations with them rarely present me with idiomatic or regional variation puzzles.

I have seen a number of folks here in other discussions also mention the clarity of Colombian Spanish.

One of the many advantages of being a part of SpanishDict.com is that no matter which route you take, you'll have folks here from many different backgrounds to help you.

Just learn to speak Spanish in an educated manner.

thanks my friends grin grin grin

I would recommend Colombia, and more specific Bogota. The spanish spoken in Colombia is really fluent and compare to other country in S. America it has less slangs.

A todas las personas que han mencionado el español de Colombia como el mejor español hablado en America, les agradezco su deferencia.

Como ustedes saben en Colombia nació la primera Academia de la Lengua Española en América, en 1871. En Colombia siempre ha existido un gran interés por todo lo que tiene que ver con la Lengua Española y siempre nos hemos preocupado por un castellano bien hablado y escrito. Además, Colombia ha sido reconocida en varias oportunidades por las academias como un país que siempre se ha preocupado por todo lo que tiene que ver con nuestro bello idioma, en toda la extensión de la palabra.

I first studied Español Castillano when I was at school in the UK, then lived in Spain for a wee while. Then I moved to Latin America and didn't find many issues with people not understanding me or vice-versa, although there were some words, phrases, pronounciation, etc, which were different. And people there made fun of my speaking with a "lisp"!! hehehe. So I adapted my accent to Latin American Spanish and that's what I speak with now. I have Spanish friends and we understand each other well aside from slang and dialect particular to the area we are from or have learned in.

So I wouldn't worry about which type of Spanish you learn too much. Although, I would say to be aware of "Spanglish" words and phrases if you are learning Mexican Spanish!

Choose the type that you like the sound of best and of the place you are most likely to visit.

smile

• I lived in Peru and the Spanish there was mostly very good, although "vosotros" is not used. - amy_moreno Nov 25, 2010 flag