"No hay de que" means you're welcome, no? | SpanishDict Answers

if some one gave you a piece of pie and you responded with, "Gracies" the person who gave you the pie could say, "no hay de que" meaning "you're welcome" right?

• Country, I think you meant to type "gracias." - --Mariana-- Sep 30, 2009 flag

"No hay de que" is short for "No hay de que agradecer" which literally means "There is nothing to thank for".

It is a very common and polite response to any form of saying "Gracias" "Thanks".

• Welcome to the forum! Very nice answer. - Noetol Dec 28, 2012 flag

It sounds more like, "it was nothing." That's still a nice response.

De nada is commonly used for "you're welcome."

gracias

One common translation for it is "Dónt mention it" if you understand how that is used in English after "Thank you". [You're welcome]

I use and believe "No hay de que" like Quépasa says above "It was nothing".

While I'm here for a minute of course you all know:

• Qué pasa = What's happening;
  • Ni hablar = Don't mention it. (as mentioned by qfreed above)

Here is one I learned last month.

• "O sea" text books have it as "In other words" but in daily conversation it means "you know" as a slangy use.
  • "Slangy." Wow. But Slangy is actually in the dictionary defined as an adjective. No Me Digasssss... I wouldn't have thought it... - Duke-Taylor Jun 27, 2013 flag