My wife never stops coming up with these things. She's walking out the door to go to the store and out pops:

"Hay te wacho."

So, of course, being a student of language, I say "hold on just a second, what was that again?"

"Hay te wacho," she says. "It means see you later."

"Oh really, I say. How do you spell it?"

"H - A - Y . . . T - E . . . no se." "Ask your friends on SpanishDict." she says.

So, anybody heard this one before and know what the last word actually is?

Muy interesante, en el noroeste de México también se les dice guachos a los soldados, ahora que recuerdo. Y realmente no sé por que. Creo que porque eran del sur. Eso sí, a las personas de los estados del sur de México, hay gente que les dice guachos. No sabía que la palabra era usada para decir que es mala persona en Argentina. Menos que significa huérfano/a. Y para darles un ejemplo del uso exagerado de la palabra guacho en algunas regiones, unos amigos de Hermosillo (dos horas y media en carro al norte de mi ciudad) me dijeron que yo era guacha porque no nos podíamos entender. Ellos les dan nombres diferentes a las cosas de como nosotros lo hacemos en Cd. Obregón. Así que ellos muy rápidamente concluyeron que yo era guacha y pues todos nos reímos con la ocurrencia. Recuerdo que dijeron "De Villa de Seris para el sur TODOS son guachos" Y aunque la palabra es supuestamente despectiva, pues suena comiquísima la manera en que generalizaban.

Saludos

• i agree - Rey_Mysterio Nov 20, 2011 flag
  • I would agree if i could understand it , the English translation would be of inestimable help to us little people. - ray76 Jul 22, 2013 flag

Definitely she likes to tease me but since then I've searched the internet and find it is a common slang expression and that last word is spelled guacho.

• So I was right after all! Yayyyy ;-) - arnold3 Sep 29, 2009 flag

It seems like you're having some fun learning from her...that's so nice. grin

The best I could come up with is that in my dictionary, "huacho" is a variant of "guacho" which can mean "orphan" or "stray"...so maybe she's making you an orphan for a little while...or straying from you... wink

The "hay" being like in "hay de que" or meaning she has to do it...so

literally "I have to orphan you"...or figuratively "I have to leave you"

I'm sure that's not it, but it was fun trying.

• Don't you love these little scavenger hunts that make you struggle through our own mental mazes - Izanoni1 Sep 28, 2009 flag
  • jajajaja ¡claro que sí! ;-) - arnold3 Sep 28, 2009 flag

Hay the wacho...

Allí te wacho = I'll see you there... grin To watch = To see

SPANGLISH! good for kidding around but not much more.

Guacho = orphan like another poster pointedout, but not even realted to this (hay te wacho) ... grin

Probably just spanglish and adding an o at the end of watch, saying I'll watch you later? My dad used to say I'm watchando TV so you never know.

This is span English. wacho from watch. I think she likes to kid you with these things.

truka or truck

good thoughts...all, but could the word in question be "hucha"? Just throwing it out there. I guess it depends on where your wife heard it originally. Did she just buy something nice "al mercado"?

yes. its slang in mexico

I would almost bet the word is watchout ,as in take care of yourself and the house. A common expression used in Ireland when somebody is leaving the house to maybe go to the store

you can also say nos wachamos

LMFAO at white people trying to explain Spanglish. It's border slang. Ay te wacho, meaning see ya later, I'll see ya soon, etc.

The "verb" is watchar. Of course this verb isn't a real spanish word, and yes people on the border know this, but it's accepted slang because they grow up around equal usage of spanish and english so you have a mix of the 2. I can guarantee you "guacho" has absolutely nothing to do with it. It has no literal translation because "watchar" would probably be translated as "to watch" as in "watchando el juego de los cowboys" would translate as "watching the Cowboys game," but "ay te wacho" would mean "see ya later" (not I'll 'watch' you later). Because of this usage you can't translate it really.

Super old post, but I couldn't help but laugh in 2011.

I live outside of San Antonio Texas and just saw a sticker on the back of a Chevy Camaro that said "ay te wacho" So, "see you later" makes sense to me.