How to say "sheet rock" | SpanishDict Answers

how do you say "Sheet Rock"? I saw sheet metal, not sheet rock.

Thanks

¡Hola!, Mazeykat:

As I understand it, the word "sheetrock" in North America refers to plaster drywall boards.

"Yeso" as JohnJuan has suggested means 9in English) "plaster".

As I understand it, "cartón yeso " in Spanish means plaster based drywall boards. You might want to check this out yourself using "Google."

Regards/Recuerdos,

Moe

Yeso.

This is the link of Wikipedia in which it appears perfectly explained in English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drywall

Yeso! Es que les he digo. No existe, en una casa casi construida, algo distincta. Yo le digo a el...dame el yeso! wink

Hola nila,

It is difficult to know which of them is the correct option. 1. "Muro construído con piedras sin cemento. 2. Paneles de cartón yeso.

Los dos son correctas para la frase dry wall. Pero, la palabra sheetrock puede referirse solo a los paneles de yeso. Entonces, en este contexto, sabemos que drywall se refieres a los paneles de yeso.

Saludos.

I think JohnJuan's point was that most construction worker types are likely to simply say yeso (gypsum). I, of course, can't confirm that, but I've no reason to doubt it. It makes sense to me. And, since the thread was started by a sheet metal cutter, who is apparently a bit tired of being asked to cut sheetrock, then yeso might be the best word for the situation.

Lo siento, corto solo metal, no yeso. (I'm sorry, I cut only metal, not sheetrock)

Lo siento, no puedo cortar yeso. (I'm sorry, I can't cut sheetrock)

Lo siento, mi sierra es solo para metal, no para yeso. (I'm sorry, my saw is only for metal, not for sheetrock.)

• Sheet metal is "metal laminado" or "hoja metálica" by the way. - webdunce Sep 26, 2009 flag
  • Voilà - nila45 Sep 26, 2009 flag
  • Do you really think Mazeykat is a sheet metal worker? I think "saw" should be interpreted as the "past tense of 'see'." - Moe Sep 29, 2009 flag

Noun 1. drywall - a wide flat board used to cover walls or partitions; made from plaster or wood pulp or other materials and used primarily to form the interior walls of houses

dry wall.- n muro m de mampostería sin mortero

Mortero.- Mezcla de cal o cemento, arena y agua que se usa en la construcción. argamasa.

Mampostería.- f. CONSTR. Obra de albañilería hecha con piedras pequeñas o ladrillos, unidos con argamasa.

Argamasa.- f. Mezcla de cal o cemento, arena y agua que se usa en la construcción: unió los ladrillos con argamasa. mortero.

Argamasa = cemento, mortero, hormigón, grava, mazacote, argamasón, mezcla, betón, cascajo, casquillo, pellada, arena, amasijo

dry-stone wall
dry-stone wall dry-stone walls
A dry-stone wall is a wall that has been built by fitting stones together without using any cement. N-COUNT (AM) dry wall

• I think he has that much figured out... - ChamacoMalo Sep 25, 2009 flag
  • I thought he needed the translation into Spanish. - nila45 Sep 25, 2009 flag

As I admit not to understand too much about building work, I have looked for "cartón yeso" on the Internet and I have found this:

El cartón yeso, conocido de diversas formas como: placa, panel o tablero, es una placa de yeso laminado entre dos capas de cartón, por lo que sus componentes son generalmente yeso y celulosa. Se usa en construcción, principalmente como alternativa a los sistemas constructivos tradicionales compuestos de ladrillo y masa para ejecutar divisorias, cámaras o falsos techos.

"Cartón yeso" hasn't to do with the definition of drywall. Under my point of view, a drywall seems to be a type of wall builded with stones or bricks but without cement. It would be: muro construído a base de piedras (o ladrillos) sin cemento o cualquier otro tipo de mortero. "Muro de mampostería sin mortero" could be the technical term but it sounds too technical. Perhaps it exists another technical term that is more simple, but now I don't know.

• Nila, this description of cartón yeso exactly fits the building material known as "drywall" (or sheetrock)in the U.S.A. - Valerie Sep 25, 2009 flag

A drywall is a stone wall not a material. At least, I have looked up the information in several dictionaries and I have found that. I cannot understand your points of view.

This is the text of the dictionary:

A dry-stone wall is a wall that has been built by fitting stones together without using any cement. N-COUNT (AM) dry wall.

But, it is true that the description in Wikipedia says another different thing from the dictionary:

Drywall is the term used for a common method of constructing interior walls and ceilings using panels made of gypsum plaster pressed between two thick sheets of paper, then kiln dried. Drywall construction is used globally for the finish construction of interior walls and ceilings. Drywall construction became prevalent as a speedier alternative to traditional plaster interior finish techniques, which involved hand-placing base, scratch and finish coats in successive layers by hand. (See also, the history of Homasote, a dry applied wall or ceiling board finish system.) Drywall, by contrast, required hand finishing only at the fasteners and joints. The new process required less labor and drying time, lending its name to the panels used in the assembly.[citation needed]