How do you change a verb to a noun?

Sure Daniel. Just remember that the best way to think of spanish is to NOT think in english and to simply accept something in spanish, as 'sounding right'. Master this and the rest of your spanish learning career will be much less turbulent. Case in point, 'hace frio'.

'Hace frio'?? It makes cold? That sounds terrible in english and doesn't make much sense, but that's how you say it's cold out.

Anyway, in the example I provided, 'el saber' is basically making a noun out of the concept of the verb 'saber'. You know that 'saber' means 'to know' right? So it's just a noun of that. 'The knowing' if you will. Literal translation, The knowing/knowledge that 'us' can end is pain.

Yea, sounds funky in english, but remember that golden rule!

-Charlius-

• "hacer" is a mega verb and has lots of meanings - my dictionary has 25 (not including "hacerse") But it is still a verb. - Daniel Sep 23, 2009 flag
  • i love the idea of a mega-verb! :D - miloszdom Sep 23, 2009 flag
  • If you think that Hacer is a "mega verb"...try Dar. I think that there are something like 50 different usages listed in the RAE - Izanoni1 Sep 23, 2009 flag

If you're asking how you go from the verb conocer to the noun conocimiento then you had better wait for an etymologist.

I am no etymologist, but I have noticed that quite a few -ar verbs also form nouns by adding -ación to the end of the root.

Take a look at this list of nouns and notice how many have corresponding -ar verbs with associated meanings.

Also, many times when speaking of what someone's occupation/profession is, I have noticed that -ador(a) is often added to the root -ar verb (I'm not sure about -er or -ir verbs).

I doubt that you could use these as hard and fast rules...it was just something that I had noticed.

Spanish often uses the verb infinitive itself as a noun.

Me gusta leer. It is usually translated using the present participle in English or the prepositional phrase to.... I like reading or I like to read.

• My understanding of that sentence is that it means "To read is pleasing to me." I would call that using a verb as a subject, not using one as a noun. In English we could say "Reading is pleasing to me." That's a verb used as a subject. ¿No? - Goyo Sep 23, 2009 flag

There is a good overview of this topic here: Predicting Spanish Nouns

• Welcome to SpanishDict. Please take a moment and complete your SD profile as it relates to language. Thanks. - rac1 Aug 3, 2015 flag

I'm not certain. One way MAYBE is to create a gerund. For instance, bailar (to dance) --> bailando (dancing) ???

• Spanish does not use its gerund (present participle) as a noun. - 0074b507 Sep 23, 2009 flag

You change the suffix,

Verb - (To) Help - Noun - helper

Verb - (To) teach - Noun - teacher

Verb - (To) sing - Noun - Singer

Well, maybe thats not the suffix, but whatever, you get the point.

A verb is a verb, and a noun is a noun.

Example:

I am going to dance. = Voy a bailar. (dance = bailar = verb.)

I am going to the dance. = Me voy al baile. (dance = baile = noun)

Well actually in some cases you can just put the definite article 'el' in front of the infinitive form of the verb to make it a noun. Check it:

El saber=Es dolor el saber que lo nuestro se puede terminar!

El fluir=Interrumpiste el fluir!

-Charlius-

Charlius can you help me out here. What is a "El saber"?

There is no simple rule (nor is there in English) . Qfreed, Izanoni and Charlius have provided partial answers which cover many cases There are exceptions (cases which simply to not correspond in any simple way to English syntax). *Such is life.

Well I stand on a **"verb is verb" and a "noun is a noun". The question is:

How do you change a verb to a noun?

You cannot just stick a difinite article "el" before a verb and it becomes a noun -- even if they are the same word.

I showed a example where the same word could be used a a verb or a noun "dance" -- but the verb was still a verb and I can't change it to a noun. I used "dance" as a noun, and is is going to stay a noun.

I am almost 100% sure you can't change a verb to a noun.

Maybe I don't understand the question or I am just to thick-headed.

Or maybe the question should be "Can the same word be used as a verb and also be used as a noun?"

• choose a verb and i nominalice you. - txelis Aug 3, 2015 flag

This one is just for fun.

In the army we had a saying, "If it doesn't move, paint it" So a simplified answer would be that if it is painted it must be a noun.

So now to your question. You just have to get that verb to sit still long enough to paint it.

Other than that there is no truly simple answer to your question.

From Verb to Noun Some Spanish 'AR' verbs can be easily changed into nouns. Just replace the infinitive 'ar' ending with an 'O' and you have the noun which just happens to be the same as the yo conjugation. Un ejemplo con el infinitívo “trabajar” The infinitive verb trabajar - (to work). When you drop the infinitive ar ending and replace it with the letter O it becomes trabajo which in verb form means (I) work and as a noun means the work.

• oops! I didn't mean to send this first attempt and don't know how to remove it. - tomasdeAlba Aug 4, 2015 flag

Some Spanish 'AR' verbs can be easily changed into nouns. Just replace the infinitive 'ar' ending with an 'O' and you have the noun which just happens to be the same as the yo conjugation. Un ejemplo con el infinitívo “trabajar”
The infinitive verb trabajar - (to work). When you drop the infinitive "ar" ending and replace it with the letter "o" it becomes trabajo which in verb form means (I) work. All nouns derived from regular ar verbs are masculine so if we put the masculine word "el" in front of trabajo, (as we do with any masculine noun) it then becomes a noun. So, whereas “Yo trabajo” means “I work”, “el trabajo” means “the work”.

Otro ejemplos:- cambiar - el cambio, caminar - el camino, estudiar - el estudio, votar - el voto